Spam email address do u have one?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Macmaniac, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

With so many sites around these days do you have a dedicated email address for signing up for discussion groups, freebies, and other things that is just a Spam account. I know I keep two accounts dedicated for spam, while my primary address is just for my friends. I know Macrumors is actually one of the few sites that I used my prime email address on. What really stinks is that spammers found that address and now I have 4 different email address, with my comcast address being my primary one, luckily I can use Apple Mail with that one so I get very little spam.
  2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    yup! of course :) mostly i use my school account for things like that... :rolleyes:
  3. Blackstealth macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2003
    Bradford, UK
    I get round this problem by creating a brand new email address on one of my domain names specifically for the site that I'm subscribing to (or that needs an e-mail address); e.g.realplayer@mydomain, macrumors@mydomain, appledownload@mydomain etc.

That way I can track who's been selling off their e-mail lists. Once I start getting spam on the address I set it to bounce back as undeliverable.
  4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    I have a spam email adress at yahoo... actually its just for stuff that I wouldnt want people seeing If I were checking my regular email. I actually don't get that much spam though.
  5. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

You should see my official spam account it has over 200 spams in it, it gets about 10 messages a day its crazy! God I wish I could find the spammers and make them eat dog food.
  6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I thought [​IMG] is what hotmail was for? Of course I have one, and guess where it is :D
  7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i have several inactive accounts from various periods in my life, at all of the free providers... and keep some from long-gone ISPs to keep the addy alive. i used to use those for spam recepticles, but with Mail's junk filter, i don't worry about it anymore. If i could set Mail up to download junk mail and delete it from the server all the time, my webmail access would be perfect... until then, it's still easier than digging through old accounts.

hope i never lose Mail, 'cause then the floodgates would be open...

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I create new e-mail addresses for almost every organization I do business with. They all forward to my main address, but that lets me (a) track who got the address from whom and (b) delete one if I no longer need it.

Also, when a company online asks for my e-mail address when I don't think they have any business having it, and won't let me leave the field blank, I use the form, where "" is their domain, not mine.

Even with all these precautions, I still get plenty of spam.
  9. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

Jan 5, 2003
    I have two main e-mail addresses that I use - my .Mac address and my Earthlink address. I'm pretty careful about giving out my addresses, and now only get about 4-5 spam messages per week.
  10. MontgomeryBurns macrumors member

Mar 14, 2004
    One address for friends/family, one address for bs site forums etc., and one address for purchases.
  11. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    I have a spam address, but it gets less email than my main address.
  12. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I have a .Mac address as my primary, an email account at for spam and my school's for, uh, school stuff. I so rarely ever get spam to my spam address I don't know why I even bother maintaining it. But what the heck, better safe than sorry.
  13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    That's smart. I'm going to have to start doing that.
  14. thejazzman10 Guest

i dont need one, because i can just filter it out with mail :D :D
  15. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I only have one E.Mail address, it's my primary address. Usually get 150 - 250 per day. So its manageable.
  16. joshuajestelle macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    The ultimate in extra spam emails....

If you really want a good handle on your spam... do the following:

1. Purchase a domain name from (~$9/year)
    (no I don't work for them, I'm just a very satisfied customer)

2. Setup a free email forwarding account to forward to your main email address (this is a service of GoDaddy's). For example, will forward to my main email account.

3. Make that email a "catch all" account. That means any email sent to *anything* will get sent to that email, and effectively forwarded to my main email account.

4. Then everytime someone asks me for my email address... I give them a personalized email, for example:,,

5. Then if you ever get spam at any of those addresses, you know exactly who sold you out to the spammers.

This is great because it still lets you check all your email in one place, but allows for an easy method to not only block your spam, but track where it comes from as well.

Hope this helps some folks,
  17. crenz macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2003
    Shanghai, China
    Don't use catch-all for your domain!

I strongly advise against using "catch-all" for your domain.

It works nicely for you as long as your domain is not well-known, but once your domain name appears on a few websites and mailing lists, spammers will start to use it to fake sender addresses. You will get a lot of bounces for messages you never sent. It is much, much easier in the long run to just accept mail for addresses that you really use.

I used the same approach that people describe above (create a new e-mail address for each mailing list/forum/... you subscribe to) for about five years. I stopped doing it about three or four years ago, because I never had a case where someone sold my address to spammers. All the e-mails I received were for things I really signed up for. So it was just not worth the trouble. Worse, to be able to use all the addresses, I created a "catch-all" rule, but didn't keep track of the e-mail addresses I gave out. Ever since I started getting up to a couple hundred bounces per day during those days when the viruses are most active, I started to phase out the catch-all rule. But I still need to check whether legitimate mails are coming in on addresses I used to use, but didn't add to my list yet... so it's gonna be another couple months till I dare switching off the catch-all.

Most spam (at least 90%) nowadays clearly come from my e-mail address being on the web (via mailing list archives and guestbooks). Try this: Use to sign up for your friend's guestbooks (start with mine :p ), then watch as the spam comes in...

I decided that I am tired of hiding my e-mail address, and that it is posted too many times on the web anyway. So now, my strategy is to use good filters (SpamAssassin, will phase in bogofilter soon).

Sorry for the long rant :)
  18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    Sadly enough, I keep my aol account for spam. I only pay $4 a month to retain it, but it serves me quite well. :cool:
  19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    My ISP provides me with up to five e-mail addresses, so yes, one of them is just for spam.
  20. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    #20 or

I love talking to somesort of tele-caller or someone who really has no business asking for my email... instead of telling them no I say "Yeh.. Junk at sinink dot com." :)
  21. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    That, Doctor Q, is an excellent idea.

Ever since I posted my email on a Voy messageboard my AOL account has gotten more and more spam. This is very disappointing because up until then, it had been completely spam-free. I've had that account for so many years, registered with it so many places, and given it to so many acquaintances I might like to hear from again, that I really don't want to have to cancel it.

When I finally come up with a domain name I like and register it, though, I'll probably make that my primary personal address, and keep AOL as the spam account.

I just wish AOL used standard mail protocols, so that I could get my AOL mail without using one of their sanctioned, ad-saturated login alternatives. :mad:
  22. Dippo macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Actually since I have been using the new AOL spam filters, I have had a reduction in spam. I still get about 10-20 spam messages a day but they all end up in my spam folder. I only get 1-2 spam messages that get through.

I was surprised because I have had my AOL account for over 6 years...
    (of course it took them over 6 years to implement user end spam filtering!)
  23. briankonar macrumors regular

Mar 10, 2004
    Mail's Spam Filter has worked 99.9% of the time, i get about 10 spams a day, and it drops them in the trash for me no problem. a quick scan of names to make sure it didn't drop anything important, select all, and delete. 20 seconds tops.
  24. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.

Thats what AOL is BUILT for.

I expect out of 100 mails 99 of them are spam and 1 is wrong address.

Seriosly, my OLD mail account is my SPAM account... :mad: