Spam me and pay $500!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, May 24, 2003.

1. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

that's wonderful. i hope include provisions for multiple-points-of-origin spammers. i think maybe we're seeing the begining of the end for spam.

3. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

ADV: Lose weight now!

California already requires the letters ADV to be put on the front of unsolicited e-mail, although the law is mostly ignored.

I've read that by July spam is expected to pass a milestone: 50% of all e-mail.

By coincidence, Mr. Anderson, I was coding my own experimental spam filter when you made your post.

4. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: ADV: Lose weight now!

Ha, cool.

There has been a lot of work in the field of spam filtering - and as everyone who's ever used one knows there is a long way to go until it works 100% correctly.

A colleague of mine mentioned that checking for the string "FF0000" is about as good as it gets for a single filter search key. It the color red in hex and what's used in html emails.

Of course it makes all sorts of assumptions, like no one is going to send you an html email that isn't spam...;)

D

5. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

In addition to the obvious method - looking for words or patterns in the Subject, From, or body text - there are a few tricks for recognizing spam that can be automated:

* Doing reverse name lookups to recognize forged headers.

* Checking for mail that passed through mail servers that are open relays. The Open Relay Database can be used for this.

* Checking for blacklisted sites with a service like the one from Spamcop.

6. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

semi-related

o just checked my lycos account for the first time in about a month:

over 700 spam messages.

you think the fine could be retroactive?:)

7. macrumors 6502a

crazytom

I don't think the law would change much since it's already pretty hard to find the spammers in the first place. They should be giving the fine to the company who's wares are being sold and force the company to regulate their own 'advertisements'.

8. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yeah, this law would be totally unenforceable. you cannot track most spam messages back to the company that sent them, and you can't legally hold responsible the site advertised-- what if a competitor sent out spam for their site, to drive the company bankrupt? It's circumstancial.

only way spam will stop-- redesign the way email works. if security is implemented, it would be easy to stop spam with laws. but the current email system is far too trusting...

god i hate spam...
    :)
    pnw

9. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

eh... what's the big deal with spam anyway? mac OS X mail automatically deletes any spam I get, so I never even see it. :)

10. macrumors demi-god

szark

Just this past week, I received a spam message advertising anti-spam software!

Yeah, I'd trust them... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. macrumors 6502a

If the Hormel company sends you unsolicited email offering 1 free sample of their favorite canned meat delivered to your home, provided you forward the message to two of your friends, how much spam is that?

12. macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Isn't this going to be too easy to avoid? I thought the people that did this kinda stuff disappeared right after the emails were sent.

P-Worm

13. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

So this means I could not only get approved for a home mortgage loan...but get $500 for doing so? ;)

14. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

2 problems (in addition to not being able to enforce it very well) i see:

1. the companies will keep trying to act like you signed up for it... and most likely, companies will go even further to make you unknowingly agree to receiving email from other companies or themselves...

2. can i sue people for sending me dumb forwards that say i have to send it to 10 people by noon or else i'll never fall in love??? :( ;)

15. macrumors G4

Damn, I'd be loaded!

16. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It will be odd to be able to sue a person for spamming - I wonder if it will ever go to court - one person suing another individual.

Bet it happens eventually.

D

17. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i put my money on some ex friends or lovers... the one who did the dumping sends the other one some type of forward a few weeks/months after the breakup. the dumped one is still bitter, and lashes back in court!

18. macrumors P6

wdlove

How does eveyone find that the junk mail filter works for them in the Mac OS X's mail software program?

19. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It wasn't especially accurate for me, so I edit the rules by hand using Mail -> Preferences -> Rules -> Edit. I'm glad it has "Stop evaluating rules" as one of the possible actions, because some other e-mail applications I've used forgot that one.

20. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Gah, finding out who is spamming may be an even bigger problem.

21. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You can sue anybody for anything, but I don't think the laws being enacted will give you much of a case. The laws vary in their descriptions of "the crime", but many apply only to the senders of unsolicited e-mail in large quantities, e.g., tens of thousands or more.

22. macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

It seems to me that the best way to go here is to try some of the same approaches that the RIAA (filthy bastards) are using to combat P2P file sharing. Place the burden not on the spammer or the company being advertised, but on the ISP. So far their suit against Verizon has been successful, and it sets a precedent to some degree. I'll guarantee that 95% or more of the spam that originates in the US will stop when ISPs start seeing spammers as financial and legal liabilities. Also, some sort of database listing all known spammers could be used by the ISPs to deny or severely restrict service to known spammers. Just a drunken thought... ;)

23. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

wow, $500! :D

I really hardly ever get any spam at all anymore, since I changed my e-mail adress a few months ago. I might get one spam every couple weeks. And, usually the mail app notices it is spam. :)

24. macrumors 6502a

if this would pass, i'd e a millionaire. and i remember once i got 52 000 emails from apple in my inbox. :)

normally the moderate 50 - 200 spams a day would be anough to not make me work. all i'd need would be 20 hotmail accounts and using them in public places like foras... :D

25. macrumors 65816

alset

While I hated the idea the first time I heard it, I say let's have an email tax. If every email cost $.01 to send it wouldn't make much of a dent for the average person. Spammers who send over a million messages a day will be crippled.

Dan