Spam volume doubles since last year

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

News link (New York Times)
    The spammer tricks they describe include sending from an ever-increasing number of zombie computers (to avoid blacklists), using image spam (to avoid text analysis), adding small speckles (to make OCRing images harder), changing a few pixels in each message (to avoid checksumming techniques), pointing to websites that appear and disappear (so they can't be traced after the fact), and promoting worthless stock without giving a website address at all.

2. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Spam is so out of control, it makes me dread opening up Mail each time.

What I want to know is... does spam even work?!?! We're so trained to ignore spam, and hate spam, that I can't see why it's still even done anymore. Seems like a waste of time not just for people who receive it, but who send it too.

SPAM™ on the other hand, is a tasty treat that’s fun to eat! :D

3. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

You can create a rule in Mail to junk image spam.

[​IMG]

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's incredibly cheap to send the stuff, and it will pay off if only a small handful of people out of millions bite. People still regularly fall for 419 spam, for one example.

5. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

According to the article, spammers are using stock scams much more often now, rather than just sending links to commercial junk for sale. The s[c/p]ammers buy stock in some company you never heard of, send tons of spam promoting that stock to get people to buy it, and then sell their stock at a profit while demand is up.

6. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Spam is getting ridiculous.
    And it's really hard to fight it.
    Good thing Mail.app has a really good spam filter!

Attached Files:

7. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I use this rule to make sure my Inbox contains only messages from people or organizations I know.

The other messages aren't deleted, just put in an Unrecognized folder that I can look through with a little more care and a little less urgency.

Attached Files:

8. Silentwave macrumors 68000

I don't get it. I receive one or two of those every day...none of them mke the least bit of sense.

9. AppleAce macrumors regular

I can't even remember the last time I got an honest to goodness 419 spam, and I get soooooo much on my college email.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It doesn't look like the version of Mail I'm using. Got Leopard handy?

And I think I'm one of those people who gets 9 spam-mails for every legit email. :(

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Psst it's UNO.

The only way 419's and Phishing will stop is if Banks stop repaying customers who fall for them, on the same line as not getting covered by house insurance if your House isn't locked.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's an old scam called "pump-and-dump," with a new method of promotion. The spammer buys up a block of shares of essentially worthless stocks (aka, "penny stocks"). Then he sends out thousands if not millions of e-mails hoping to interest a handful of people in buying the company's shares. Theses stocks are so thinly traded, that even a small amount of buying can move it up from say $.04/share to $.07/share. That's the pump. Then the spammer dumps his shares for a profit. The insidious part about pump-and-dump schemes, is that even if you know it's a scam, you might be tempted to try to get in before the dump and make some money from the artificial run-up yourself. So it's a little like a pyramid scheme -- the people who get hurt are the ones who get in last.

13. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Is that based on the assumption that each person who falls prey to a phishing scheme will then learn their lesson, but if they get their lost funds back they will repeat their mistake?

14. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.

:rolleyes:

15. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I thought Bill Gates was working on stopping this or starting a task force last year...good job...:)