Spammer jailed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by srobert, May 27, 2004.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    At last! I'm so happy. It won't stop the problem but at least now some of them will have to pay for vandalizing my inbox. At least he can't spam while in jail... or could he?

Extract from the article:
    —>*Click for whole article <—
  2. mcadam macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2004
    I don't get - he has send out 825 mill. spam messages, but he only used a fake identety in 14!?!? So, the lesson learned is that you can send out as much **** as you want as long as you don't lie about your identety :eek:
  3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Well, thats what they arrested him for.

Some would say that the lesson of Al Capone is kill and rape all you want but make sure the IRS gets it cut.
  4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Finally, somebody doing something more than a slap on the wrist to these scum. What other area in life do we put up with people forging their identity, using stolen or hijacked resources, and trying to either sell products or more likely rip unsuspecting people off by the millions? How has it taken us so long to actually do something about at least the most vile of spam?

Incidentally, how about putting spammers in prison for one second for each message they sent; that's roughly equivalent to the time it took people and automated systems to sort through the junk they generated, right? In this guy's case, that adds up to a 26 year prison term. See ya in 2030.
  5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    More likely, they charged him with 14 counts as a deliberate move, or those 14 counts were easy to prove. In the US, anyway, people are usually not charged with more than a few counts of something, because the prosecution is only interested in getting them put away for life. Serial killers who may kill dozens or hundreds of people are typically convicted on 3-15 counts of murder, because prosecuting each count would be too expensive and wouldn't keep them imprisoned any longer...

so, he probably did it hundreds or thousands of times, but they only charged him with the 14.