Spammers Busted?!?! WOWZA!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by srobert, Dec 12, 2003.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Oh please let them be pinished! I don't care if they're scapegoats, let an example be made so spammer think twice before taking control of our inboxes.

Extract from the article:

"DULLES, Virginia (CNN) -- Virginia authorities Thursday announced felony charges against two men accused of violating the state's new anti-spam law. They described the indictments as the first of their kind.

Jeremy Jaynes of Raleigh, North Carolina, and Richard Rutowski of nearby Kerry, North Carolina, were charged with sending thousands of unsolicited e-mails bearing falsified routing information. The e-mails hawked investments, mortgage information and software. Many of the servers that processed the e-mails are based in Virginia....

... If convicted on all counts, Jaynes and Rutowski could each face up to 20 years in prison and $10,000 in fines."

Link to the complete article

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

Re: Spammers Busted?!?! WOWZA!

i wish the fine was $10,000 plus all the money they made spamming.

3. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I wonder how much money they actually make.

What is the percentage of the population dumb enough to purchase a product or service from spammers?

Here is a simplistic theory:

Let's say... that a hypotheical Mr. Spammer of Wiener RX™ (operated from the basement of Mr. Spammer) is planning on sellling Biggy-Wieny™ pills at $50 a bottle. He proceed with sending 1,000,000* unsolicited email over the course of 1 year. To make a $10,000 in that year, he would need to sell 200 bottles of B.W.™ So... 200 out of 1,000,000... that means that he would only need 0.02% of the population to be complete idiots... and I am sorry to say that I beleive that we got a larger percentage than that. :rolleyes:

Let's say that the percentage of idotic population is closer to 1%... am I being too nice here? ^_^... with the same volume of spam (1,000,000)... he would sell 10,000 bottles of BeeWees™ (Biggy Wieny™).. taht means... $500,000 in sales. Not bad. hmmmm.

*1,000,000 spam mails a year, according to the article, is the limit at which unsolicited mail goes from misdeameanor to felony in Virginia.

4. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Depending on what they are spamming they could make around $10k + a week.

5. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Oomph! That's shamefull. Bandits! At $10,000 a week they won't mind paying a $10,000 fine... prison could be another story. Bring 'em in! ^_^

The most insulting spam email I ever received was from someone advertising and selling anti-spam software...

Remembers me of when organized crime send goons to rough you up and pillage your store and then the next day they come by to sell you "protection". It's no different.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Perhaps whilst serving time in the big house they should be ordered to write "There is no way to lengthen a penis in one week" for as many e-mails of spam they sent out.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

does virginia not have the death penalty?

paul

8. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Gymnut, paulwhannel.... I like the way you guys think. :D

9. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Going back to what percentage of the population are idiots: What I don't get about the whole spam thing is how anyone connected enough to have email could possibly NOT be aware that the reason spam exists is that people actually respond to it. Therefore anyone who responds to spam is part of the problem!

Don't we all pay enough indirect forms of "stupid tax" (higher prices to pay for the overload of frivolous lawsuits, etc) that we shouldn't have to be stuck with spam taking over our inboxes?

10. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well Spam as in the food by Hormel is pretty much a staple here in Hawaii. I believe we're the highest consuming spam state in the U.S. I know that some people do not particularly care for it but perhaps those serving prison sentences for e-mail spam should be served spam for every meal for the duration of their sentence. If they develop a hatred for it, if not already have one, they will no doubt learn their lesson! See, who says prisons don't rehabiliate??:D

11. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Actually, I've heard the pump really does work and is quite quick with the results.

12. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Permanent results? Or do you have to repeat as necessary?;) Short of surgery I don't think there's any other effective method of lengthening the main vein.

13. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Where's my spam?

I usually only get 20-40 spams per day. But in the last couple of days I have not received even 1. Coincidence?

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Funny you say that...

My Hotmail account is usually filled with SPAM. It's gone down considerably these last couple of days. Coincedence?

Probably.