Spammers, how dumb they think we are. (See attached SPAM mail)

Discussion in 'Community' started by srobert, Nov 26, 2004.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Just received a third flavor of a Spam email I think is really funny. Here is how it went:

Stupid spammer wrote ALL CAPS.

Last one I received was "from" the widow of some african politician who promised me millions if I would help her into my country. LOL

I wonder how many person replies to these emails and what are the consequences.

:D

2. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Dang! Have I been flagged or what. One hour later, here is what popped into my inbox.

And that's with maill.app's spam filter on.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Sad thing is some people actually fall for this type of stuff. I remember an old article a while back where a guy actually decided to write back and got into a correspondence with one of these scammers - quite funny! Although my favourite is still the P-P-Powerbook scam! :D

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, his lawyer wouldn't let him release any money unless he paid him the money owed, so the spammer sent him the money to "pay" his lawyer. ;)

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You could always write a script to collect the e-mail addresses and spoof a reply to them using another nigerian spammers e-mail address.

7. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Nope. must be something else.

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

That's classic, a lot better than the one I read!! Maybe you should give it a go srobert, it would be interesting to see what type of reply you get :p

9. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

nono, email other people who spam you with other spammers email address and tell them its your new email.

10. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I'll create a new email account and give it a try. this could be funny, I'll post here if I get a reply. I'll reply to the second one, I don't want to receive more replies from an "all-capper". ;)

Edit01: Ok, Don Luis Perenna (aka: me) has just sent an email to johndickson221@tiscali.no asking for more details)

11. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Post the letter for us! This could prove to be interesting ;) :D

12. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Here is what I wrote the guy trying to sound a little uninformed and gullible:

"Hello Mr. Dickson

I am interested by your proposal but also a little concerned.

Why did you pick me? Am I really going to make money if I help you? I'm not sure I understand everything you wrote. Could you give me the details of what I should do if I want the money? This stuff is legal right? I don'T want no trouble. If I do what you say, I will receive money, then send you a share and keep the rest? Is this going to cost me something? I got a credit card and everything but my credit limit is only $5,000. Will I need a lawyer? That would be expensive.

Thanks

L. Perenna"

13. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

LOL

I googled "Sagbama Express Road" to see if this place really exists in Nigeria. Here are some interesting founds:

http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Nigerian/nigerianex.htm

http://potifos.com/fraud/

http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Crimes/Business/nigerian.htm

http://www.scamorama.com/barnabas.html

http://www.internet-fraud.com/fraudforum/DCForumID3/236.html#

and the list goes on.

Looks like the guys trick is getting old. This has been going on for years. Maybe he should refresh his act. Sad thing is it looks like he use real identity of deceased people. Sick bastard.

LOL

14. brap macrumors 68000

This trick is classic 419. Scambaiting is the #1 internet sport! MC Frontalot puts it very well - The Lady Maria Mubacha (deposed) will bring you to tears.

15. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Yeah. This sums it pretty well. ^_^

16. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

A nice balance between cautiously eager and gullible! Looking forward to the reply!

17. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Waiting for his reply. In the meantime:

- I now have a working fax number (free online provider) associated with my bogus name.

- I am working on a bogus business card and letterhead.

Now here's hoping I get an answer so the real fun can begin. ;)

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have gotten several of those spam messages from Nigeria. The person just happens to have my last name. Just another way to steal someone's identity or to empty a bank account. Very sad. :( :eek:

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

I got a great one the other day claiming to be from PayPal (for which I've never had an account) asking me to verify my account information. The link, which was not to PayPal, but was branded as such, asked for everything from my credit card number to bank account number, ss#, mother's maiden name, secret security questions (for sending passwords, etc.), debit card PIN#s, address, everything.

And some people fall for that. Scary - they'd have had everything they needed to wipe me out, and open all kinds of accounts in my name.

20. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Yeah, you should definitely try some scam baiting:

www.419eater.com

You can get funny trophies like the attached pics. But go to the website to see how to do it safely.

Attached Files:

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I got one of those PayPal ones the other day. Click the link and Safari opens with a paypal.com address. But copy the address into TextEdit and you find it's actually pointing to some IP address.

22. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

He took the bait. Here is his reply:

Dang! He really thinks I'm über stoopid. I'll reply. Stay tuned for more funny emails.

23. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Ok, here is the reply I sent him:

Do I sound gullible enough? I don't want to look like I know too much about "the internets". ;)

For those of you wondering, "Mamma said pictures" is an anagram for "I am a stupid scammer"

I'll post the guy's reply if he does reply.

24. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

How stupid are we to, by our OWN WILL, go to a thread to read spam?
    I just noticed that... :eek:

But the emails are quite funny. Keep them up.

25. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

This thread could become a MR classic...but surely he's not going to reply, is he?! :eek: :p

Was reading one of the scams from the link provided and someone actually managed to convince one of the scammers to send a naked photo of himself, a very scary thought. Amazing what some people will stoop too in the name of greed. :rolleyes: