Spammers

Discussion in 'Site News' started by arn, Mar 23, 2002.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Multiple registrations, posting false info, and posting repeated messages will not be tolerated.

arn

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yea!

I am right on with you Arn. Although, who wouldnt be? Arn, is there any way to ban people by IP?

3. PCUser macrumors regular

Most people who log in will have a dynamic IP, ie one that is assigned to you by your ISP. (If you don't know what you have, you have dynamic... it costs more for a static one).

Therefore, banning an IP address wouldn't prevent them from coming back because next time they log in they'll most likely have a new IP. So now an IP address will be blocked, but not a user.

If you could block a MAC address some how... but even then you can't assure they aren't spoofing their IP and MAC.

4. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

[ed note: removed because I think the issue is mostly resolved]

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

6. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Hi

Just a quick question, has GoCyrus been banned? I can't find him in the members list.

Ensign

7. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

yes, gocyrus has been banned... but not for posting inciting posts... but for other reasons which I'll not disclose here.

and before any gossip starts... as far as I can tell, he was not involved in the recent spade of spam posts...

arn

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Arny

I was thinking the exact same thing. Actually, Eye sent me an E-Mail telling me that.:p

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think u may be a little late to catch the gossip before it starts....come on this is a rumors site!! he he he...:p

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Woman (Graham Chapman): Can I have eggs, bacon, spam and sausage without the spam?

Waitress (Terry Jones): EUGH!!!

Woman: What do you mean EUGH!!! I DON'T LIKE SPAM!

Man (Eric Idle): Dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam, I love it! I'm having spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, spam and spam!

Waitress: Baked beans are off!

Man: Well can I have her spam instead of the baked beans then?

Waitress: You mean spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam and spam!?

Man: Yes!

Waitress: EUGH!!!

Anyone care to take the part of the Vikings? :D

11. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

oops

I actually have 2 names. When I created "me hate windows" it didn't work at first, so I created "narf"

Arn or Blakespot, you can delete "narf" since I don't use it.
    Please don't ban me:( :p

12. burningwheel macrumors newbie

speaking of spammers...i've got this spam that I get at least twice a day everyday of the week just about. i report them to spamcop, but no avail. i try replying to them to be removed but you can't even contact them about their product (trying you to get your business to accept credit er something like that) talk about idiots!!!! well you open up the mail it even blatently states "this is spam" in big red colors. any suggestion about how to get this mail to stop coming? i though about closing that email account for a while but i don't really want to do that. right now i just have it go into my trash

13. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

can you not just block that email address?

14. Hypatia macrumors newbie

spam countermeasures

Burningwheel.
    If you use IE you can use a rule to block that spam and send it straight to trash.
    If that's not pro-active enough do a little surfing for a nifty little Applescript called "Bouncer". You install this script into IE and when you receive your spam you run the script. This script generates a false "bounce" message back to the spammer who then thinks it's a dead address and after you bounce a few spams it usually stops. You can also set up an IE rule to activate "Bouncer" automatically and dump the spam straight to trash for you.
    Never reply to a spam to ask them to stop, it only encourages them.

15. burningwheel macrumors newbie

i do have it going directly to my trash but this "Bouncer" apple script sounds just like the ticket. many thanks Hypatia!
    :)

16. burningwheel macrumors newbie

well i tried it and the mail just bounced back to me because they used fake adresses. i kind suspected this would happen. pretty cool applescript though.

17. j763 macrumors 6502a

SpamCop

Burningwheel,

Assuming you're using Mail.app, here's how you use SpamCop under OS X...

1. Sign up for free SpamCop
    2. Get SpamCop to set you a browser cookie. (just go to the URL for spam reporting type in "." in the big box and check the "Set Browser Cookie" box then click Report Spam)
    3. Download InstantLinks and install into your services folder.
    4. Log out then in again
    5. Go into Mail.App
    6. Click on the Spam Message
    7. Hold down [cmd]+[option]+
    8. Select all the text that now appears where the message was (the message source)
    9. Go to Mail->Services->InstantLinks->SpamCop Report

If you have any problems with that, email me -- j763@mac.com . Note that SpamCop Reports in OS X will ONLY work if you use the above method. Nothing else I've seen works properly!

...Oh, and bouncing messages back normally dosen't do anything. Most spammers have caught onto that little trick and just ignore all bounced...

I'll be posting a step-by-step guide to reporting Spam using the above method (w/screenshots + all) on my website ( http://homepage.mac.com/j763/ ). In the meantime, you may want to check out my website to see how to block Ads on the Internet (banner + popups). Take a look...

18. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

It goes without saying, but just in case....never unsubscribe. They know they have a working account when you do. I made that fateful mistake and paid dearly.