Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Looks like someone forgot to do their homework...
Who would have thought that Jeb Bush, the president's brother, was a closet supporter of the leftwingers who fought against Franco in the Spanish civil war? But this week the governor of Florida has caused ripples by referring to Spain as the "republic" it was then rather than as the monarchy it is now.
Mr Bush was in Madrid on a trade mission when, paying tribute to Jose Maria Aznar, the prime minister, he said: "I would like to finish by thanking the president of the Republic of Spain for his friendship with the United States."
But Spain ceased being a republic when General Franco defeated the Republican side and became dictator. The constitutional monarchy was restored under Juan Carlos II in 1975, after Franco's death.
Mr Bush, who owes his office in part to the financial support of rightwing Cuban exiles, would not normally be associated with the Spanish Republican cause.
His elder brother has made notable gaffes when dealing with foreign leaders, getting the name of the Canadian prime minister wrong and referring to Mr Aznar as "Anzar" before his first visit to Spain last year.
The blunder is unlikely to damage the friendly relations between Spain and the US, though the historian Juan Pablo Fusi, called the error as "an offence to Spain and its democratic monarchy."
http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/2-17-2003-35757.asp

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Who elects these Bush morons into office? Can't the Republicans, or the American people, or anyone do better than these retards? I know there actually do exist some smart Republicans. What is it that's keeping them out of office?

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Yeah, but we just don't have the money.

How's the Pants Pisser campaign for '04 going? Taken any shady contributions yet? ;)

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
It's actually for '16. Jello's Hot has already formed the exploratory committee and is currently touring the country testing his message. ("Oppression and misery for you, the filthy peons of the land, and riches for your piss-stained leaders" or something, I forget). But I haven't seen the poll data yet. Our biggest contributions ($10) tend to be from senile elderly people who think we're Republicans. Our current campaign capital is $83.74... actually, it's $82.74 (I bought a king-size Snickers today).

pantagruel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2002
here and there
you know, I dont understand how the whole dumbass bush family has been elected into political fields. florida is so stupid for not getting janet reno into office there. and those "spanish" voters were so swayed by that lying Jeb, he has not interest in them just their votes.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Jesus, at least they have not asked what the meaning of is is.

Get over it. All of the make mistakes. I would love to see how you would do in front of the entire world!

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
I would be just as bad in front of the entire world. Good thing I'm not President. It's funny, because if Bush were Clinton or any other non-Republican, you would be here crucifying him along with the rest of us.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by alex_ant
I would be just as bad in front of the entire world. Good thing I'm not President. It's funny, because if Bush were Clinton or any other non-Republican, you would be here crucifying him along with the rest of us.

Wrong. I have never crucified a President while he was sitting. After he left office, yep. I believe we debate amoungst ourself, but present a united front to the world.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
I'm glad to know that you feel the same way I do but are merely waiting for the right moment to express yourself. Most of your Republican colleagues behaved differently with regards to Clinton. Considering that it's impossible to "debate amongst ourselves" on an open forum like this without making our debate public, the debate should take precedence over the unified front. We should always criticize, everyone and anyone. If we don't, we end up a unified front of losers with a miserable unqualified president.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.