Spare G5 Enclosure?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by alexprice, May 4, 2006.

1. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Hey there, I have a spare Dual 2.7GHz G5 Enclosure, I don't want to throw it in the bin, so what great uses are there for it.

Maybe a fish tank with a Intel Mac Mini in the top?

2. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

If it's in good condition - I'll buy it off you. In UK also. PM me.

3. alexprice thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will sell it if I cant think of a better use for it, do you have a damaged G5?

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Gut it and make it a SATA enclosure. If you're creative, you can probably get 8-12 drives in there, good for a super fast RAID...

5. generik macrumors 601

generik

6. alexprice thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its a cool idea not for me, thanks!

I don't have that much data.

7. alexprice thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would suspect so but I hate PC's, I have a Dual 500 G4 PowerMac which might fit somehow. I will try tommorow when I have more time.

Thanks for the idea!

8. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

RAID isn't really about large drives, it's more about faster access to the drives and more security; put four 20g drives together and you have a super fast, super safe 40gig drive! Plus it's insanely cheap, since you already have SATA, the case, (I'm assuming) the power supply, and 20g drives are a dime a dozen these days (just make sure they're all the same speed/cache level, of course, as a RAID will operate to spec of the slowest, smallest, lowest cache drive in the array). ;)

But yeah, it's a geek thing for me, I still can't justify spending money on it since I don't need it. But I dream. Oh, I dream...

9. DMPDX macrumors 6502

Ive seen someone trying to throw a pc in a g5 case. the ports just dont line up, and it lookes messy when mounted. It is definetly possible though.
    -dsm

10. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Here's a nice one:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=173707

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I have seen this as well. I thought about trying to do this with an old G4 tower, but I never got the nerve to try it. :eek:

Makes for a nice looking PC though. :)

12. alexprice thread starter macrumors 6502a

13. alexprice thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is it so far....

Attached Files:

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

wow! looking good so far! :D

only thing i would see if you can do is... to move the mainboard down a little so it's out of zone 1? that way you'll have the entire top area - I can see this becoming a crazy mass-storage machine. you could probably fit about 9 more drives in that top area alone!!! :eek: :D :D

So is that functional yet? any more plans for it?

15. alexprice thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Logic board had to go where it is now, took alot of time working that bit out. The metal plate that the SuperDrive mounts on has been sent away to be cut to fit. The machine runs perfectly, I'm very happy with it, there's still much more to do, I will keep this thread updated as much as possible.

Watch this space!

16. steelfist macrumors 6502a

OMG, having a pc motherboard in a g5 power case IS Ugly. i mean, ew... i rather have the g5 enclosure as a fish tank. i don't think you need a pc anyways.

installing pcs in g5 cases still fun though, worth a shot. if you do, join aqua-soft.org to customize the software part too.

17. alexprice thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its spec's are: Dual G4 500MHz, Geforce 4 64MB, 1GB PC133, 1x400GB SATA & 1x160GB ATA, PCI USB2.0 & FW card, PCI SATA card, Dual Layer SD as soon as the plate that it mounts on is finished.