Spare keys?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andrewlacey, Feb 5, 2004.

1. andrewlacey macrumors newbie

Hi,

Somehow (don't ask) I managed to lose the escape key from my 14" iBook the other day. I'm confident about fitting a new one myself - can I buy one from Apple? I don't want to replace the whole bloody keyboard!

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i highly doubt you can get a new one from apple.

i would look around on eBay or similar places for used/broken keyboards with your needed key.

3. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i walked into my local Apple Store asking for a new Return key for my sister's iBook. they came out with a big box of spare keyboards and keys and let me dig through it. i also mentioned that i was an Apple Certified tech. they didn't seem to care either way and didn't charge me anything for it. or you can buy a replacement keyboard here:

http://www.pbparts.com/

4. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

If you still have AppleCare, they will send you a new keyboard free of charge. Then you have a whole set of spare keys! :-D My delete key broke off of my 12" iBook, I called, and got a new keyboard.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I remember the day I was selling my iBook, my cat decided to jump up and walk over the keyboard, causing the Eject key to spring off. It gave me a huge fright, but fortunately nothing was physically damaged and I managed to replace the key. The new owner doesn't know a thing ;)

6. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

does now :D

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

same here, they let me grab a handful...some keys broke off my iBook too.
    My delete key broke though, I taped it in place, hoping that i'll be able to get a new one at the apple store next time i go.