Spatial placement of monitors?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by manosaurus, Mar 21, 2007.

1. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

This seems an obvious enough topic but I bet that everyone has a different idea of the best way to place monitors during mixing/mastering. What does everyone think about area size and placement within the area - live/deadness of the room - the distance from speaker to speaker - angle etc.? Anyone want to share thier preference or thoughts?

TIA

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

general rule of thumb for mixing w/ nearfields is to form an equilateral triangle, with the tweeters at ear level, and put absorption at all first reflection points.

in my setup, the sides of the equilateral triangle are 4 feet. the fronts of my monitors are 4' off the back wall, and the centers are 2' from the side walls. they face me directly.

for treatment, i've got first reflection damping on the ceiling, on both sides, and a sound blanket over my desk. there's also a diffusor behind me and absorption on the front wall.

additionally, i've got a lot of bass trapping in the room (11 2'x4' traps), plus some more absorption in spots that i felt needed it. the monitors are on pads, and the stands on which they sit are isolated from the floor with spikes sitting on absorptive coasters.

the room is pure joy to mix in. stereo separation in subperb, and i get a pretty even bass response in the rear 2/3 of the room.

the only real problem is that if i scoot too far back, i get reflections off my the gear in my rack.