Speak Japanese? Please help w/ translation

Discussion in 'Community' started by teabgs, Nov 22, 2004.

1. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Hey there. So, I've been playing this awesome import on PS2 obsessively lately, Katamari Damacy (I think it should really be Damashii, but it's spelled damacy on the game itself). Basically you're this ball and you have to roll up as much stuff as you can. Sounds kind of silly, but it's one of the most fun games I've ever played, and the music is amazingly awesome.

I'm basically wondering what it means though. What does Katamari Damashii mean? I'm pretty sure Katamari has something to do with ball? any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Since I can't see the characters, I would go with Mass Deception (a mass that deceives?)

3. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

thanks for replying...I wonder why I didn't get an email notification :confused:

I did some more searching and came up with "ensnaring mass" which would work with the game itself. I still want to know from someone that isn't just guessing with random internet translators.

Here's the cover of the game with the characters:

[​IMG]

here's the jist of the game:

[​IMG]

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I take it that it's like velcro picking up lint along the way...bizarre. I would say that I've seen worse or more unusual, but I haven't. Oh well. Good luck.

5. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

I can't read the kanji, but I've played that game. They had it at the Toyota auto exhibition building in Sunshine City, Ikebukuro, Tokyo. I still couldn't figure out why Toyota had such a random game in their car show.

6. Yellow-tail macrumors newbie

First kanji "Katamari" means lump, mass, block, chunk and second one "Damashii" which actually is pronounced "Tamashii" itself means soul, spirit.

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The word "katamari" has two kanjis. The one used in this game has two meanings. The first is "lump, mass, block" as Yellow-tail explained. The second meaning is "strong substance". Thus, Katamari Damashii is a play-on -- not only does the game involve creating a "lump" out of stuff, but it also means "strong soul".

irmongooose

8. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to have gotten all the different explanations, especially with the play on words. It works well with the story, which I wont even try to explain as the story only makes sense once you've played it. If you try to explain it to someone who hasn't played it the entire thing just sounds like a bunch of ridiculous babble.

I don't know why Toyota would have it on display either. The best guess I have is that you can pick up cars eventually in the game. But they are generic and not toyotas, so your guess is as good as mine. Is there any business connection between Toyota and Namco?