Speakable Items? Not so bad Anymore

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GimmeSlack12, Mar 26, 2006.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I remember playing with speakable items in Mac OS Classic when I was a teenager, and remembering it was cool but was so limited.

Yesterday I gave it another shot because I wanted to turn on iTunes from across the room. It has definitely improved from those days of Classic. There is more intuitive actions depending on what application you are in , or is open. Although it still isn't fluent, it is much easier to get it to do things as it listens much better.

Anyone give it a try lately? I never bothered with it because I never thought it was updated, but it has received a nice bit of refinement over the years.

2. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I used it for a while, I thought (still do, actually) that it was both fun and useful.

But my computer listened to my TV as much as to me - I´d be typing along happily, a mail for instance, and suddenly "whoosh" the mail got sent - because someone said "send" or something similar on the tube :eek:

3. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I hear that. I have achieved getting iTunes to play from across the room, but I have not, and will not be able to pause iTunes if wanted. It doens't take commands from iTunes luckily, but with a TV on, I could imagine that being a bitch.