Speaker Advice!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by benlee, Mar 28, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I'm in the market for some good stereo speakers. They will be used mainly for music through my macbook pro or ipod, which will be hooked up to a reciever. I'm wanted to ask you guys for some advice on some suggestions of brands and/or specs. Not looking to spend too much but willing to pay for descent speakers. Didnt know who else to ask and everyone here seems to know their stuff.

Thanks

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Tell us
    How much is not too much
    What is your definition of decent
    What type of music you listen to
    How big your room is
    What is your receiver

3. schmintan macrumors regular

in the last week i dealt with this very issue. I first purchased the Creative Labs Gigaworks T20 ( 79.99 euros). They have great sound, especially mid range, but ok base for a small set of stereo speakers, and are also easy on the eye. I ended up returning them as there was a hum from them that was because of the speakers themselves and not a ground look. i tried them in all the sockets in my house but the hum was still there. i tried to ignore it but after a while all i could hear was the hum and it was driving me crazy, like a form of torture. I brought them back and the shop techy said that they have had a lot of reports of a hum with the Creative speakers, and also reports of a crackly volume knob, which is the sign of dodgy electronics.

I exchanged them for a set of JBL Duet 2.0 Speakers (59.99 euros)(http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=3EAC0CBE&nplm=TB998LL/A) and i am very impressed. Ok , these are small speakers, so they are not going to blow you away with volume or bass, but for the size they are fantastic. if you are listening to them at moderate volumes they sound brilliant. good midrange, decent high range,and the bass is nothing to be sneezed at for a small set of speakers. they easily fit on my tiny desk and so dont take up much space ( good as i hate clutter on my desk) and their style fits in well with my MBP.And no hum!!!!

so for a small set of inexpensive speakers id go with the JBL's mentioned above. note, if your looking for a lot of volume then these are not for you. they are small speakers that give decent volume but still wont burst your eardrums. perfect for me as i share a house with others and have to be consderate that they dont want to listen to my music when im listening to it!

4. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom