Speaker clicks

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GeeYouEye, May 29, 2003.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

It's not a vital issue, but it is getting annoying. Every time iChat is about to do something, including beep, bounce in the dock, or have a buddy logon/off, my speakers click, about 1.5 seconds before anything happens on my screen. It sounds like a single contraction of the diaphragm of the speakers, but I have no idea what's causing it, or why it happens one and a half seconds before something happens in iChat.

2. jakel macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Actually I just started having the exact same problem on my ibook. Also the speakers have started buzzing on certain frequencies... could these be related?
    I wonder if the apple warranty covers this issue???

3. andyduncan macrumors regular

I know this happens on G4s, don't know if it applies to ibooks as well: To save power, OS X will power down the audio subsystem if it is not being used. When it powers back up it creates an audible click/pop.

There was a knowledgebase article about this, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Not sure about the buzzing problem.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

As pointed out, all apple systems shut power to the speakers (internal/external?) to save power, when the come back on, after sleep mode (long time) or ect they 'reboot' so to speak and then will work fine, the buzzing if they are external make sure they are plugged in all the way, I had that on my apple pro speakers one time.