speaker connections

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by job, Dec 25, 2002.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

Here's the situation:

I received a substancial giftcard for Best Buy. I am planning on purchasing a set of speakers (read: name brand, greater than a 2.1 set-up).

I know that Macs currently cannot support 2.1/4.1/5.1 speaker set-ups out of the box. However, since several of the models I was looking at featured an "auxiliary input jack" (i.e. a 3.5mm input/headphone jack) I was wondering if I could purchase the set-up and connect it via the 3.5mm speaker jack on the side of my CRT iMac.

Is this feasible/possible?

2. vniow macrumors G4

3. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Thanks.

What would I need the splitter for though?

Also:

The speaker model is the Altec Lansing XA3051.

It is a 5.1 speaker set-up meant for TV/DVD/consoles.

Since Best Buy does not carry any other Altec Lansing models that I would consider buying, this one remains the only choice.

Does the fact that it is meant for TV/DVD use mean that the speakers will not obtain maximum performance?

It's like a bastard conception of a computer/TV/home theater speaker set-up.

Attached Files:

4. vniow macrumors G4

It depends on what kind of connections the speaker set takes in and how the sound is distributed.

Hold on, I'm downloading the spec sheet for it right now.

5. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Yeah I downloaded the spec sheet too, but only to see if I could use the aux. jack to connect it to any audio source (I can.)

I'm not to clear on the sound distribution though.

6. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Oh, I also plan on using these speakers to watch DVDs, play the occasional game (no need for Dolby or EAX), and listen to music.

A lot of music.

7. vniow macrumors G4

K, I just got it downloaded and it seems like they designed it a really strange way.

The red and white RCA jacks are for things like DVD players and VCRs or anything with a corrorsponing connection.

The little (green?) connector is where you would plug the sound output from your iMac into.
    The speakers themselves probably won't come with the right cable you need, but it's just a simple 3.5 to 3.5 jack (think headphone connections on either end)

But I'm not exactly sure what the hell they were thinking when they designed these though.
    It's a 5.1 setup, but with those connections, you don't have a chance in hell of getting anything close to real 5.1 sound (no Pro-logic doesn't cut it and that's the most you can get)
    Even if you had a 6 channel analog out (like a Soundblaster Live! card) you still couldn't get full 5.1 sound.
    Very strange speakers indeed.

They'll definaltly work with your iMac though.

How much was your gift certificate?

8. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Here's my situation.

These Altec Lansing speakers are just a though.

The gift certificate is worth $125.

I'm willing to spend some of my own money to increase my budget to $200.

I am looking for a decent pair of speakers suitable for the tasks I mentioned above.

If you go to Bestbuy.com and browse the computer speakers, you will see the limited selection I have to choose from.

This 5.1 set from Altec were under the console/video game audio systems.

These were the models and options under current consideration:

• Altec Lansing 2100 - 2.1 system with very basic wired remote - $99
    • Creative Labs Inspire 6.1 Surround Sound Speaker System 6600 - looks and has great features, but most are unsupported by Macs; a third-party sound card/USB adaptor would be required - $129
    • Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System - another 2.1 system, more appealing than the Altec 2100, but no wired remote - $179
    • Logitech Z-640 - a 5.1 system with Dolby Digital - can connect to DVD/TV/computer - no wired remote - $99
    • Logitech Z-560 - a 4.1 system-THX certified (whatever that means), has wired remote - $199
    • Altec Lansing XA3051 - see above - $199

I am currently leaning towards the Klipsch or XA3051. I have seen and messed with both the XA3051, Klipsch, and both Logitech models. The Logitech models leave much to be desired as the wired remotes are cheaply made and audible static/noise was audible when no sound was played.

The overall look, feel, and sound of the Klipsch and XA3051 (or any Altec Lansing model for that matter) are top notch.

DTS, Dolby Digital, etc are not neccesary. All I want is a minimum 2.1 speaker set-up to use with DVDs/Mp3s on my Mac. Since my father is building his own home theater set-up, my speakers do not have to have Dolby Digital.

9. vniow macrumors G4

Those should work fine then.[​IMG]

Don't expect full 5.1 sound, but those should work great for the system you have.

If you had about $400 to spend, the Logitech z680 would be wonderful.