speaker recommendations for G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kman12681, Jan 31, 2004.

1. kman12681 macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2003
    new york

Does anyone have any insight into speakers that are compatible with the PM G5 other than the surround systems offered by Apple? I don't need maxxed out systems that cost a lot of money, but I can't find any thing else compatible with G5. I'm just looking for something like the 50 dollar apple pro speakers that work with the G4 and iMac. Thanks for any help

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    for 50 you're only going to be able to get a 2.1 speaker system not an optical 5.1 like the ones apple sells for the G5
    anything that is 2.1 will be compatible with the G5, it will use the analogue speaker/line out jack
  3. BillClinton macrumors member

Sep 21, 2003
    United States
    I've got a pair of Logitech Z-340's. They're 2.1 (two satellites and a woofer), and they were like forty bucks. They sound really good too.
  4. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

May 30, 2003
    Connecticut, USA
    Ya Logitech makes really nice stuff. Their stuff is usually pretty easy to find at CompUSA, Best Buy, etc. Check out the Z680's, I believe as of now they are their flagship model.

They sound great and aren't too pricey... considering what you get.
  5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Too bad the 680's cost over $150. I have the 540's, and they're darn good, but Logitech doesn't make them anymore, so you'll have to search.
  6. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    I got my JBL Invaders for $80 new at Best Buy. I am very very pleased with them and their performance. I also bought a Revolution 7.1 and that really boosts the sound quality!
  7. bannedagain macrumors member

Jan 20, 2004
    Adelaide, South Australia
    If you can afford a G5, you can afford to buy some real speakers. I can't stand multimedia speakers.

Get a good amp and a set of floor standing speakers. use that optical audio out, and don'e waste your time with cheap speakers.

As everybody knows I am a big advocate of the Energy C5's and C7's. If you want a truly fantastic speaker with a flat responce you can't go wrong with these two models or even the C9's, which are a little more expencive again.
  8. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2004
    Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas