Speaker Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jase700, Jul 14, 2004.

1. jase700 macrumors newbie

Speakers?

I just ordered my first Mac, a Dual 1.8 G5 and 23inch display.

I want to get speakers that have an optical input. would like to stay in the $150 range.

Any suggestions?

2. Soire macrumors regular

Forget the optical input, unless you're planning on buying a full $500+ sound system.

I just ordered the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system, and it should be delivered today. Go to a Best Buy and listen to it. I defy you to find better sounding computer speakers, or even pro-audio speakers for that matter. These suckers are THX certified!

Seriously, go with these, they're exactly $150. :cool:

3. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

After nitpicking over speakers at the Apple stores, I have also decided on the Klipsch model. The sound is very full compared to the Soundsticks and the Creatures. Other than looks (but speakers are to be heard, not seen, correct?), they seem perfect. I am planning to go buy them today...

4. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

I agree that the Klipsch speakers sound good, however they are damn ugly. And when I am using a beautiful mac, I'm willing to make minor sacrifices in sound and buy matching Creature Speakers that still put out good sound.

5. Cohiba macrumors member

Cohiba

I just got creature speakers for my new G5 and the sound is excellent. Unless your a pro, I find it hard to imagine you'd hear any real differences...?

6. Soire macrumors regular

I'm quasi-pro, but that makes no matter. Turn up the sound to 50% on the creature speakers, and then do the same on the Klipsch. And I'm not just talking volume here, that's quality sound.

Speaking of which, I hope mine arrive shortly. :D

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I am happy with my system:

JBL Duet speakers, with a Harmon/Kardon iSub.

Works like a dream.

8. vga4life macrumors 6502

Am I crazy? I think the Creature speakers are hideous. Mega-ugly. They give me the creeps just looking at 'em.

For computer speakers under $200, Klipsch all the way.

-vga4life

9. Soire macrumors regular

ho-ah!

10. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

Just got back from Circuit Shltty (I had a $50 gift card), and I am now listening to the Flaming Lips on my new Klipsch GMX 2.1 setup. WOW. Great speakers, easy setup, and the looks are actually growing on me. They do look good paired with a Powerbook, I must say. GET THESE SPEAKERS.

11. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

12. Drewswa77 macrumors member

Klipsch GMX 2.1 are real good

I too have the Klipsch GMX 2.1 speakers. They have been awesome. I have my TV, DVD player. PS2 and Powermac hooked up to them.

13. JCorn2 macrumors member

Bose?

I too have been searching for the perfect multimedia speakers and if you are willing to add an extra 100$, go with the Bose Companions... they are 2 tiny satelites that provide sweet midrange and highs with a big sub for bass. If u are willing to add the extra moolah... go with the bose
    Joe

14. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

What do you listen to ? How are your ears ? Are you an audiophile ? Audio-enthusiast ?

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Klipsch Promedia 2.1 comes in two flavors, the THX and the less expensive GMX. Is anyone familiar with these two? What's the difference?

16. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

Bose is not the way to go, refer to the following FAQ :
    http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html

Bottomline is, you want something really different, you might wanna consider audiophile brandnames

17. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

I read a review somewhere where they raved over 2.1 but loathed the GMX because the GMX has terrible midrange and treble with a subwoofer to match.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Thanks, if you could find that review...

Confusingly, both of these systems are called Klipsch Promedia 2.1. The difference is GMX and THX in the name (and about $50). They also look different.

19. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

I'm trying to look for this particular review for you, but in the meanwhile, neither names mean squat, THX used to be a symbol of quality, but since then, it has became more of a badge with a hefty loyalty price tag to lucas arts. I would not recommend either system in particular. And, oh, by the way, I would not recommend a set of speakers with an optical input, you'll be paying a premium just for the feature, besides, the DAC used in the computer speakers to convert digital to analog will almost definitely be below the quality of your DAC in your mac, which is either Crystal, Wolfson (ipod uses this), or maybe (i heard someone else said this) Burr-Brown, all of which are WAY beyond what any of the manufacturors are willing to pay for in a set of sub 150 speakers. If your budget is absolutely dead on at 150, i'd still stay away from local office store brands.