Speakers: 2.1 vs 5.1

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jodo, Aug 11, 2006.

1. jodo macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2006
    I currently have a 5.1 system and I am thinking of going to 2.1 for the extra deskspace. At the moment i have all 5 speakers spread out in front of me on my desk.

If I switch to 2.1 will it make much of a difference considering how I have the speakers right now? Also considering my current speakers are pretty crappy.

Also, can anyone recommend a 2.1 system to use with my Macbook.

2. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2006
    Testicles. That is all.
    You're better off getting tower speakers that are stereo rather than getting a crappy surround system for the same price. Unless you're talking about for movies, but... I'd suggest my speakers but they don't make them anymore.. ;)
  3. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    if they all spread in front of you, you probably wont hear any difference between 5.1 and 2.1

try Bose Companion 3, $249 (no, i'm not a bose sales person)
  4. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    5.1 is pointless unless you're watching movies or playing games that have surround sound and then only if you have all five speakers positioned properly. You'll enjoy a nice 2.1 system and it'll take up much less space.

I like Altec Lansing, but there are probably other brands out there that you'd like. If possible go to a store that has a decent collection of speakers to sample (hard to find, stores like Best Buy have next to nothing), because sound is so highly subjective.
  5. cag17 macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2006
  6. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    JBL creatures, sound great and if you put the base down and just have the small tweeters on the desk, they give you great sound / style and desk space.
  7. grockk macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2006
    can't you just unplug the extra speakers. I used to have a 5.1 system and they all had seperate cords.