Speakers Don't Work

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ryannel2003, Dec 25, 2005.

1. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas!

I just got a pair of Red JBL Creatures for Christmas, however it hasn't been a great expierence so far. I plugged everything in and it was great, then I heard a popping sound followed by an electrical burning smell. Then I tried turning them on, and they didn't work. I think they messed up or something. I have them unplugged right now and I'm going to let them cool off. Any ideas guys? Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If they don't work after a cool-down, take them back for replacements. The popping sound and the smell really aren't that promising. :eek:

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Might not want to plug them back in...there's a chance it could catch fire, which wouldn't be too nice. :p

Take them back for a replacement.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Where's your spirit of Christmas! It'd be the ultimate Yule Log.

In all seriousness, I don't think it'll do too much harm to try them again. I doubt they'll work though. :eek:

5. ryannel2003 thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Thanks for the replies and I hope you all had a Merry Christmas!

Anyway I decided to take a peek inside the subwoofer where all the action started and it seems like one of the capicators busted and a yellow oozy looking kind of stuff has leaked out onto the woofers board. I will take them back to Apple Store later in the week and get a replacement (I ordered them online, so I can take them back to any Apple Store with a receipt, right?) I let them cool off for about an 1 hour- 1 1/2 hours but nothing. They are toast. Once again, thanks for the replies.

6. willowthewild macrumors newbie

I got mine to work thank goodness.

I know I'm posting this 2 years after the last post, but someone is going to search this out and see this so I'll say what I did. First I did the alchohol-cotton-toothpick thing (while the macbook was closed, didn't want to short anything out), and then I held down the power button for five seconds until it bypassed the little window that asks whether you really want to shut down and went off. Then to turn it on, I held it down again for five or six seconds. Then it made this awful beep! and I held down the power button a third time and it came on. Now the sound works. I'm not sure which method did it, but my sound is back :)