Speakers for iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jimmieboy, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

I'm planning on buying some speakers for my iMac in the next month or two. I was wondering if anyone has the Bose® Companion® 3 Multimedia Speakers. If so whats the sound like and pictures would be great. Thanks!

2. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

Have you considered the Creature II speakers? They look as great as they sound (or vice versa)

3. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I've got Harman/Kardon Soundsticks II. They sound excellent for the money and look good too.

4. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

I have the Harman Kardon Soundsticks II, AWESOME

5. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

If I were you I would invest in a seperates hifi (amp and speakers with a photo to jack lead at the least). If your not to botherd about big black clunky boxes...which you may do if your a mac user...But the sound quality of them tends to beat the hell out of anything else.

6. wchong macrumors 6502

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

anything Bose makes is a safe bet. i don't know about reliability (how long it'll last or bang for your buck) but the sound quality is amazing.

one of the shopping malls near me has a Bose store - you should see if there's one near you and then you could go check 'em out.

8. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

The Companion 3 Series II speakers are a definite step up in sound quality over the Series I model.

If you play games and/or want a bit more "loudness" go with the Companion 5 speakers.. they sound amazing. Definitely check out the demo if at all possible in a store. They're pretty dang wicked.

I tried the Creature II's in the local Apple Store and was severely unimpressed. Everyone says they sound so good, but they were crap. Don't even bother with them.

Klipsch also makes a great pair of computer speakers.

9. nodabs macrumors regular

For the price ($60 shipped on buy.com) i think that they are a good deal... i just ordered a set on Sunday for my new 2' iMac

10. bossass macrumors regular

For the money, the logitech Z-2300 beat all those. Check CNET for a review, they marked higher in the same review than the soundsticks. And they can be had for less than $100, try amazon.

11. dondark macrumors member

Agree, but Bose is kinda over-priced.

12. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Dude, go Klipsch instead of Bose. Beats any Bose hands down and for a lower price point - they just don't have Bose's marketing. I have Klipsch speakers for my MacBook (bought them retail at Best Buy for $150) - and those things are just nuts! I've demo'ed it to my friends and they're blown away by the rich, room-filling sound...

13. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Only problem I have with my Klipsch 4.1s is the volume controls .... they're ****. i have to jiggle the thing to get sound from all 4 speakers.. its really annoying.

14. wchong macrumors 6502

tru dat :D

15. JAT macrumors 603

You people disgust me. Have any of you actually listened to Bose products?? They are absolute garbage. This company survives by marketing to morons. Don't be a moron.

16. dondark macrumors member

But the design of Bose speakers are amazing. In the other word, it worths every cent you paid.

17. dondark macrumors member

BTW, is Bose Companion 5 available now?

18. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I don't have my iMac yet to hook them up to, but I have the Klipsch 4.1's and absolutely LOVE them. They are ear-destroyingly loud, clear, and tons of bass. I've abused the hell out of them for 5 years now, and they're still going strong. Highly reccomend Klipsch :)

19. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Absolutely. My local store has 5 in stock. Including a display with a wicked demo.

20. dondark macrumors member

really? i heard that it would out on November. Can you buy it online? And how much is it in your local store? Thanks.

21. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I have the soundsticks II. I think they're perfect for computer listening since you usually sit pretty close. However, in an average room they are fine too.

22. wchong macrumors 6502

23. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I had those and they were awesome....loved the base and the look.

24. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

I wouldn't use this comment when making your decision because he has obviously never listened to a Bose product in a quiet environment. I have the Bose MediaMates and they are just amazing speakers. If you listen to the Dave Matthew's Band's "So Right" with them you'll know what I'm talking about.