Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmieboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Australia
I'm planning on buying some speakers for my iMac in the next month or two. I was wondering if anyone has the Bose® Companion® 3 Multimedia Speakers. If so whats the sound like and pictures would be great. Thanks!

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
Jimmieboy said:
I'm planning on buying some speakers for my iMac in the next month or two. I was wondering if anyone has the Bose® Companion® 3 Multimedia Speakers. If so whats the sound like and pictures would be great. Thanks!
Have you considered the Creature II speakers? They look as great as they sound (or vice versa)

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I've got Harman/Kardon Soundsticks II. They sound excellent for the money and look good too.

captainbeefheat

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2006
UK
If I were you I would invest in a seperates hifi (amp and speakers with a photo to jack lead at the least). If your not to botherd about big black clunky boxes...which you may do if your a mac user...But the sound quality of them tends to beat the hell out of anything else.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
anything Bose makes is a safe bet. i don't know about reliability (how long it'll last or bang for your buck) but the sound quality is amazing.

one of the shopping malls near me has a Bose store - you should see if there's one near you and then you could go check 'em out.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
The Companion 3 Series II speakers are a definite step up in sound quality over the Series I model.

If you play games and/or want a bit more "loudness" go with the Companion 5 speakers.. they sound amazing. Definitely check out the demo if at all possible in a store. They're pretty dang wicked.

I tried the Creature II's in the local Apple Store and was severely unimpressed. Everyone says they sound so good, but they were crap. Don't even bother with them.

Klipsch also makes a great pair of computer speakers.

nodabs

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2006
PA
Macnoviz said:
Have you considered the Creature II speakers? They look as great as they sound (or vice versa)
For the price ($60 shipped on buy.com) i think that they are a good deal... i just ordered a set on Sunday for my new 2' iMac

bossass

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
For the money, the logitech Z-2300 beat all those. Check CNET for a review, they marked higher in the same review than the soundsticks. And they can be had for less than $100, try amazon.

dondark

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
DXoverDY said:
The Companion 3 Series II speakers are a definite step up in sound quality over the Series I model.

If you play games and/or want a bit more "loudness" go with the Companion 5 speakers.. they sound amazing. Definitely check out the demo if at all possible in a store. They're pretty dang wicked.

I tried the Creature II's in the local Apple Store and was severely unimpressed. Everyone says they sound so good, but they were crap. Don't even bother with them.

Agree, but Bose is kinda over-priced.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Jimmieboy said:

Dude, go Klipsch instead of Bose. Beats any Bose hands down and for a lower price point - they just don't have Bose's marketing. I have Klipsch speakers for my MacBook (bought them retail at Best Buy for $150) - and those things are just nuts! I've demo'ed it to my friends and they're blown away by the rich, room-filling sound...

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
lmalave said:
Dude, go Klipsch instead of Bose. Beats any Bose hands down and for a lower price point - they just don't have Bose's marketing. I have Klipsch speakers for my MacBook (bought them retail at Best Buy for $150) - and those things are just nuts! I've demo'ed it to my friends and they're blown away by the rich, room-filling sound...

Only problem I have with my Klipsch 4.1s is the volume controls .... they're ****. i have to jiggle the thing to get sound from all 4 speakers.. its really annoying.

wchong

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2006
Miami, Fl
bossass said:
For the money, the logitech Z-2300 beat all those. Check CNET for a review, they marked higher in the same review than the soundsticks. And they can be had for less than $100, try amazon.

tru dat :D

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
wchong said:
you won't go wrong with the Bose 3-2-1
You people disgust me. Have any of you actually listened to Bose products?? They are absolute garbage. This company survives by marketing to morons. Don't be a moron.

dondark

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
lmalave said:

But the design of Bose speakers are amazing. In the other word, it worths every cent you paid.

dondark

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
DXoverDY said:

BTW, is Bose Companion 5 available now?

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I don't have my iMac yet to hook them up to, but I have the Klipsch 4.1's and absolutely LOVE them. They are ear-destroyingly loud, clear, and tons of bass. I've abused the hell out of them for 5 years now, and they're still going strong. Highly reccomend Klipsch :)

dondark

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
DXoverDY said:
Absolutely. My local store has 5 in stock. Including a display with a wicked demo.

really? i heard that it would out on November. Can you buy it online? And how much is it in your local store? Thanks.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I have the soundsticks II. I think they're perfect for computer listening since you usually sit pretty close. However, in an average room they are fine too.

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
JAT said:
You people disgust me. Have any of you actually listened to Bose products?? They are absolute garbage. This company survives by marketing to morons. Don't be a moron.

I wouldn't use this comment when making your decision because he has obviously never listened to a Bose product in a quiet environment. I have the Bose MediaMates and they are just amazing speakers. If you listen to the Dave Matthew's Band's "So Right" with them you'll know what I'm talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.