Speakers for iPod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by phrancpharmD, Dec 5, 2003.

1. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

I am lazy and have not done any research on this yet, but what does the MacRumors Community recommend as the "best" external speakers for the iPod for ~ $100 or less for the following scenario - the speakers will primarily be used at night to fall asleep listening to music and wake up to it in the morning. So a small form factor would be nice so it doesn't take a lot of space on my nightstand, and a subwoofer is certainly not necessary. "Purity" of sound is not necessarily an issue either as the volume will be kept fairly low. I appreciate your input!

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

sounds like almost anything will work since you don't need bass or high volume, i've always bought altec lansing they're pretty good
    i got my 2.1 for around 40 so i'm sure just getting 2 speakers, perhaps even the flat panal type would be cheaper than that

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Lots of discussion on this topic I recommend the monsoon planar media nines, they look awesome and sound really good.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I got a cheap set of flat panel speakers from Big Lots for like 15 dollars. They work... it's no stereo system, but it works.

5. absurdio macrumors 6502

the entire cambridge soundworks line is pretty amazing. The sound is great, the speakers are tiny and elegant (though they do include a subwoofer), and they're disgustingly cheap for what they are. I'm never using anything else as computer speakers.

check em out.

6. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

the planar monsoon are very good, at only $50 too!

7. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

is there a speaker system that would somehow recharge the iPod?

funny question hmm? but maybe there is a product out there that does this...

and i do not mean the inMotion.

thank you.

8. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

is there a speaker system that would somehow recharge the iPod?

funny question hmm? but maybe there is a product out there that does this...

and i do not mean the inMotion.

thank you.

9. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

If recharging is needed, you can always use the iPod dock and plug the speakers into the dock.

Unless you've got an older, pre-dock iPod, and then there's pretty much no all-in-one system that allows you to charge and play over speakers at the same time. I was also considering replacing my bedroom stereo with my old 10 GB iPod by just getting speakers, but I haven't found anything so far.

10. RubberChicken macrumors regular

RubberChicken

For a left field solution try

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/pm1wht.htm

I just got one of these at Xmas.
    It's highly portable.
    Sound quality is extrordinary, despite a single speaker. It has very a balanced sound with suprisingly clean base.
    Build quality is unsurpassed.
    It has all the audio inputs and outputs you would expect of a high end system.

It also makes a great radio.

Go and have a listen. For what it's worth I think audio quaility is important at all volume levels, cheaper systems often loose depth at lower volumes.

11. phrancpharmD thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the suggestions. Actually, my wife gave me the Altec-Lansing inMotion speakers for Christmas, and they are perfect for what I was looking for - mostly low to medium volume sound at bedtime and in the morning. . .