speakers for my apartment room

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rob587, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I went and listened to the sound sticks II today and I tryed comparing them to the logitech Logitech® Z-2300 and the Logitech® Z-5500 Digital, and for some reason, its seems difficult for me to compare the sound of the three in a store vs. actually taking them home. (when I get home I can emmediatly tell the diff btwn good and bad speakers) So I guess my question is which out of the three is A. the best sound quality and B. the best value. even if the answers to my a and b arent the same i still want to hear your opinions. Thanks!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've always been a fan of using separate receivers instead of all-in-one speakers setups. If you get a decent receiver (say, an Onkyo TX-SR502 for ~$250) and some halfway decent speakers, it will almost always sound vastly better for only a little more $$, and it's a lot easier to upgrade or add to the speakers. My computer stereo is powered by the aforementioned TX-SR502 with some Polks as speakers, and it sounds great. Plus, you can use speakers you already have.

3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I have the Logitech's. And they are wonderful. When i play UT - The whole room shakes with bass.

kyle

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Only problem with that is that the receiver/speakers take up "vastly" more space than normal computer speakers.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

True. And if all you want are computer speakers, then I think any of the bundles will do - but if you want better sound quality or want to connect other things, separates are better. I have an old (1999) PC in the basement that come with some (surprisingly) great-sounding Altec-Lansings for a very reasonable price. My 2002 iMac's Apple Pro speakers are very acceptable for just about anything, including music (at moderate levels). Now that I listen to more music while I work, though, I prefer the higher quality and am willing to sacrifice the space. But I didn't mean to imply that computer speakers are crap - they aren't, and they sound quite good, and, generally, the more you spend the better they sound.

6. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

Check out the Klipsch Promedia series. Best computer speakers I've ever heard for the price. All the reviews online say that they're better than anything else you'll find out there, and they're right. Don't know where you can go to test them, but I'm pretty sure they have a good return policy if you don't like them.

7. TIGERmac macrumors member

Logitech Z2200

As the owner of a Logitech Z2200 setup, I can highly recommend either of the setups you are considering. I purchased these speakers per recommendation of a salesman at Best Buy, and they have been terrific.

The subwoofer pumps out thunderous bass if you crank it up, and the speakers produce crisp, clean sounds even at high volumes. Incidentally, the salesman compared them to the similarly priced Klipsch setup and said he preferred the Logitechs.

There was also a $50 mail-in rebate being offered by Logitech at the time, so the decision was really a no-brainer for me. If your computer room isn't too big, the 2.1 setups will be fine even for watching DVDs and such.

When I received my iMac, I immediately plugged in my Logitech setup. A few days ago, I decided to see what the built in speakers sounded like. The difference was like night and day...unbelievable.

Good luck with your decision.

8. dgpaulk macrumors newbie

I also have a set of the logitech z2200 and i have to say they are amazing for the price but they are no longer produced. They have been replaced by the z-2300's. You can get them on newegg right now for 112 and if you search you might be able to find someone with the z-2200 still in stock for quite a bit cheaper. Overall they really are the best speakers for the money if you are looking at a 2.1 system.