Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xephian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2005
United States
What are some good speakers that will work for the Power Mac G5? I've been looking at the Logitech Z-5500 now and have been thinking of getting those.

How would the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers compare to the Logitech 5.1 Z-5500's? And will these speakers work for this Mac without having to buy extra things to make it work?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Xephian said:
How would the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers compare to the Logitech 5.1 Z-5500's? And will these speakers work for this Mac without having to buy extra things to make it work?
Do you mean the ProMedia 2.1 or 5.1 speakers? The 2.1 should come with everything needed. For the 5.1 you may need to buy a toslink optical cable.

I have a set of the Klipsch GMX 5.1 speakers and they sound nice.

I think in most circumstances, I'd go for speakers made by a speaker company and not a mouse company.

adam-uk

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2005
England, UK
If you have got a BIG room, and need the full surround sound system thing then go for the Logitech 5.1 Z-5500's. I've got them at home, and they are awsome - digital line into a mac works just fine. However, watch out for the sub...yeah its totally great, deep and 100something watts - but its HUGE! Make sure you can put that big daddy somewhere good.

If its just for normal usage, go for something like H&K Soundsticks II. They are small, cool in design, and give a create sound quality to price ratio.

5500's should be great for you. They impress everyone who comes round!

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
You could search and read all the other 'What speakers to buy' posts which would give you an idea...

Xephian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2005
United States
pknz said:
You could search and read all the other 'What speakers to buy' posts which would give you an idea...
I did but not many people compared these two speaker sets.

Bear said:
Do you mean the ProMedia 2.1 or 5.1 speakers? The 2.1 should come with everything needed. For the 5.1 you may need to buy a toslink optical cable.

I have a set of the Klipsch GMX 5.1 speakers and they sound nice.

I think in most circumstances, I'd go for speakers made by a speaker company and not a mouse company.
I meant the 2.1 Klipsch ProAudio speakers.

And, Logitech makes many different things and they are all pretty good IMO.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Xephian said:
I did but not many people compared these two speaker sets.

I meant the 2.1 Klipsch ProAudio speakers.

And, Logitech makes many different things and they are all pretty good IMO.
I've heard complaints about the Klipsch speakers dying after about a year. As for the Z-5500's, they are unbelievable. Great sound and bass. I wouldn't want any other speakers. Right now on Amazon they are $220 too.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I've got the the Klipsh's ProAudio 2.1 and love them. I doni't have any complaints.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.