Speakers for Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Danzsupreme, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Danzsupreme macrumors member

Apr 15, 2005
    I am one broke MF'er after buying my powerbook. But want speakers for my powerbook as those that come with the 12" just dont cut it.

Any ideas for some cheap speakers that are at least loud. I have the old apple pro speakers (Tall white ones from 94) i havent tested them do you think they will work? Or is there a special plug that i need to hook it up to my Beautiful powerbook that i love.
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I would certainly give the Pro Speakers a try. Should plug into the speaker outlet on your PowerBook. What price range are you looking at?
  3. Danzsupreme thread starter macrumors member

Apr 15, 2005

Cheap, but good. I have all this music but hate how low it sounds on my PB
  4. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    do you have a stereo with line-in? if it's a 3.5mm line in you could just buy a male<>male 3.5mm cable and listen to your pb through your stereo. i used to do that with my emac before i got a pair of soundsticks II's. (great speakers btw but ~$120 from amazon) if it has a rca line in or similar adapters are quite cheap (<$10) and it'd probably sound a lot better than the powerbook depending on your stereo. also a lot cheaper than computer speakers if you're on a budget ;)
  5. matticus008 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I second this approach! In fact, if you have a quality receiver for a home theater system, you can get music to sound incredible for the cost of the adapter. You can use a minijack to RCA Y-adapter that you can pick up anywhere they sell audio equipment. Get a quality adapter so you don't have too much noise on the line (the better the adapter, the louder and cleaner the music).

If that's not an option, look at your local electronics stores (Best Buy, etc.) for a standard 2.1 setup. They usually have pretty good prices on the midrange 2.1 speakers, and they frequently have them set up for you to test beforehand for what sounds best to you. Don't buy from an off-brand, though. If you can't afford decent speakers now, wait until you can. There's not a lot of sense in going from one set of bad speakers to another set of bad (but louder) speakers.
  6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    If you have a decent hifi at home you can either plug your PowerBook into that with a nice stereo mini jack to stereo RCA/Phono cord (I used to do this with my iBook) or, if you can afford $129, get an AirPort Express and stream music from your 'Book to your hifi wirelessly using AirTunes (what I do now, highly recommended).