Speakers - JBL or Klipsch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Fahd, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Fahd macrumors regular

Which speakers should I buy?

JBL Creature II Speakers or Klipsch ProMedia GMX A - 2.1 Speaker System or something else entirely?

Thanks! :)

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I have the Altec Lansing FX6021 - 2.1 Speakers which are great, great sound, good bass, only down side is they are $300! If i dind't have the money for them i prob would have gotten the creatures. Also the Harman Kardon SoundSticks II are nice to they are i think $200. Go to a store so u can listen to them

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I have the Altec Lansing FX6021 - 2.1 Speakers which are great, great sound, good bass, only down side is they are $300! If i dind't have the money for them i prob would have gotten the creatures. Also the Harman Kardon SoundSticks II are nice to they are i think $200. Go to a store so u can listen to them (compusa or apple)

4. honeytoast macrumors regular

I also highly recommend the Harmon Sound Sticks II. Great Sound, excellent value. They can be purchased for about $160.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I just bought Klipsch ProMedia GMX A - 2.1 at Amazon.com for $115.00 (with free shipping). They sound very nice but I'm not sure how they compare to the other 2.1 speaker sets that were mentioned.

6. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I got the Logitech Z-2300 2.1 with amazing results. Trust me better then you think. and it was $110 with shipping at newegg.com

kyle

7. Cabrini715 macrumors member

Cabrini715

The harman kardon soundsticks are incredible but a little costly. You'll definitely get your money worth with the sound. I dont know about altec lansing or Klipsch ProMedia but I just purchased jbl creature II's for $68 on amazon and they sound great for an exceptional value. They just came out with the black ones that look really sharp as well.

8. Fahd thread starter macrumors regular

Heh...and to think I was trying to narrow my choices. Now I've got 5 speaker systems to consider! :D

9. mrviga macrumors member

I have the JBL Creature IIs, the Sound Sticks, and the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 set. All three are amazing, and the sound sticks are the most stylish with my PB, but the Klipsch speakers are the best when it comes to sound. These things are bulletproof, I just can't say enough good things about them. I mean I think they are so good that I want to get the 5.1 system to use with my DVD player, and have a little surround sound in a smaller room. Get them, you won't be disappointed. :D

10. Cabrini715 macrumors member

Cabrini715

If you want to save money, go for the jbl creatures...but if your lookin for the best sound...go with the soundsticks or the Klipsch ProMedia. Don't get me wrong though, i love my creatures and they sound great, but of course if you spend more money, you'll get better sound :D

11. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

In my honest opinion any speaker series suggested (Minus the Creature speakers) are an amazing choice. Unless you have had a 2.1 or greater before, They are so much better (obviously) then the stock speakers. Obviously you get what you pay for, so read reviews from cnet.com or some where else to get your feel for what fits you best.

kyle

12. Cabrini715 macrumors member

Cabrini715

lol...im guessing he's not a big fan of the creatures :rolleyes:

13. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I have a set of Creature IIs, and although the sound quality is not poor enough to warrant an upgrade as far as I am concerned, I have heard much better speakers for the money.
    My dad actually has a 2.1 set of Creatives that sound really nice. However, I consistantly hear great sets of klipsch at College.

14. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Not against them- just there are better out there. The Satellites are to small, and i could go on. I will admit one thing though, those new black ones look slick.

kyle

15. Cabrini715 macrumors member

Cabrini715

lol....yea they do look slick. I bought the whites ones right before the black ones came out unfortunately. $68 with free shipping seemed like a great deal for them cuz i know they run for about $100 elsewhere. ...Sound is pretty good with them, but i guess they're looks won me more over :D

16. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Honestly, with the price being 68 bucks, that changes some things. I remember when they used to be 150 - that is where my better speakers for the money came from.

I should get my facts straight first! haha

kyle

17. Cabrini715 macrumors member

Cabrini715

Yea i could definitely see where you can find better sound quality for the pricing if the creatures were back up to $150. I guess someone realized that you can find better quality for that price so they cut it in half fortunately.

18. lordmac macrumors regular

im surprised no one has mentioned this

Well I have some Altec Lansing speakers which are great. But I fell obligated to sujest the rumored apple speakers that are rumored to be coming out. :D

19. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I bought the Klipsch ProMedia GMX 5.1 for about $125 shipped from the refurb section of klipsch.com. So far I've only set it up as 2.1 and it's the best set of computer speakers I've heard.

My previous sets were Apple Pro Speakers plus h-k iSub and also the USB Soundsticks. So, the rank to this point for me is:

1. Klipsch GMX
    2. Soundsticks
    3. Pro Speakers + iSub

The reason I haven't hooked up all 5 satellites to the Klipsch so far is the speakers stand a little over 8" tall and the center channel would get in the way of my monitors, even if I placed it in between the two. I plan on replacing the center channel with a horizontally-oriented speaker from a different Klipsch 5.1 set (they sell spares on klipsch.com too).

20. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo