Speakers: mm50 vs iM7?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by tykles, Dec 2, 2005.

1. tykles macrumors member

Hi, I'm looking for a portable speaker solution, mostly for indoor use, but would probably take it outside for BBQ's, etc. I am basically between the Logitech mm50 and Altec-Lansing iM7, and I was wondering if anyone has tried both. Right now, the mm50 wins for convenient, compact size, better price. The iM7 is bigger, heavier, would require the purchase of (rechargeable) D batteries (which is both a pro and a con), and I'm assuming it's louder.
    So, any input as to relative volume, sound quality, build quality etc?
    Thanks.

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I know nothing about the Logitechs you mention but I own the iM7, it's at work and I can't fault it at all. The audio sounds great, it's bloody loud, the bass really kicks. I've only ever run it off AC so I can't comment on the portability factor but I'd rate it a 9/10, it loses 1 point for being bloody expensive. Well worth the money though.

3. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Like comparing chalk and cheese really. I would go for the iM7's purely because if I want to listen to my iPod on the move, I would use earphones. If I am not on the move, you have a power adapter for both, but the iM7's give a much better sound quality and better bass/treble control.

I've heard both and there really is no contest. Very few use the batteries anyway I find, so unless there is something restricting you on size, (and if there was, you wouldn't even consider them), spend the extra nad get the best. Better than the Bose Sound Docks for sound too, IMHO.

4. tykles thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking I will probably go with the iM7. I do envision myself using it with batteries for situations like barbeque's / car camping, etc. I specifically want something that I can use to listen to music in the shower with, but there isn't space for speakers to live there permanently, plus there's an awkward outlet setup. I'll probably head to the Apple store when I get a chance to get a better feel for how big they are.

5. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Well I bought an MM50 as a present for a family friend. Will be checking it out tomorrow at his party. He wanted portability and I felt it was a good compromise at the price.

6. tykles thread starter macrumors member

I'd love to hear how you like it. I'm really impressed with the mm50's total package. My only real concern is how loud it gets with decent sound quality (for outdoor use), and I guess a much lesser concern is that the rechargeable battery isn't removable/replaceable, so it wouldn't work for weekend camping trips or long periods away from a wall outlet. Cheers.

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I have the mm50. Wanted something small and portable that would easily fit onto elevated locations in every room of the house without always neededing to plug it in. Mm50 does that very nicely with ~10hours battery life, fitting nicely onto window ledges and small shelves on bookcases. Also wanted a reliable remote which it has. MM50 also comes with a nice carry case, and it has a ipod connector at the rear for synching whilst in situ.

MM50 sound quality is pretty good. Good bass and range. Is too loud to use at max indoors in normal use.

www.ilounge.com / http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/comments/logitech-mm50-portable-speakers-for-ipod-ipod/ rates this one highly and gives a good overview of its features.

I looked at the iM7 but it was a lot more expensive, a lot bigger physically (ilounge say At 16.75” long and 6.5” in diameter, it’s the size of battle tank ammunition, and weighs around 10 pounds without anything inside.). Its boom box size, which is no good for putting in normal sized shoulder bags or backpacks when heading off to BBQs etc. So it doesn't suit my intended uses, the remote had questionable range, and I dont like the idea of carrying and using 8 "D" Cells for the same 10 hours.

8. tykles thread starter macrumors member

Thanks aswitcher. This is a really tough choice for me. So if you used the mm50 outdoors, say for example, a 20 person gathering in your backyard or something, would the mm50 project well enough, or is it more appropriate for personal use? As I said, I'm really drawn to the total package of the mm50, I just want to have the option of being able to crank it up for more people if needed. Thanks.

9. tykles thread starter macrumors member

one more question:

Anyone had any experience/opinions on the Virgin Boomtube EX? It seems a little cluttered once you dismantle everything, but it's certainly affordable ($60 at Amazon), and people seem to review it favorably. Thanks.
    Edit: They state 40W output for the Boomtube, but I haven't found anything for the iM7 or mm50 yet. If anyone has that info, I'd love to compare them.

10. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

11. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

B- at iliounge It does bear mention that the system’s audio performance is not as impressive as Logitech’s mm50

Also no remote...

12. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

13. tykles thread starter macrumors member

yeah, those also don't work for me because I'm looking for something that can run off of battery power. The lack of remote is also a negative. I do like the aesthetics though. Thanks.

14. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

iLounge is a great place for information though. If you see a bad review on there, you are less inclined to buy the item. This may be a negative, (could fit your needs better than the example they used), but remember reviews are only there to guide you.

15. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I'm looking to get the mm50 for Christmas this year.

I researched a few different speaker systems by reading iLounge reviews (which I think are very fair & impartial) and listening to them at the Apple Store.

I'd like to be able to toss a portable speaker system into an overnight bag/suitcase when I'm going to be at a hotel, out on the patio (not a very large space) or if I'm tailgating at a football game.

I like the size of the mm50, the 10 hour rechargeable battery, remote & price. And, obviously, the sound quality.

Regarding the 2 other models referenced here: The im7 was too big for what I am looking for and the sx2000 seems like it might be too delicate for me.

Many of these portable speakers tend to be bass-heavy. I don't listen to a lot of hip-hop or dance music so I don't want anything too bass-heavy.

16. tykles thread starter macrumors member

So you mentioned tailgating. Do you think the mm50's get loud enough for outdoor use like that? That (max volume) is one of the main reasons I'm on the fence between the mm50 and the iM7. Also, is the iM7 significantly larger than the mm50?
    Sorry, I know I can find this out once I have a chance to go see them in person, but things are hectic right now so I'm relying on you guys and your experience. Thanks.

17. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

cnet / amazon searches reveal - thanks to dashboard and widgets for figures.

mm50 - 12.8" long (32.5 x 10.2 x 3.8 cm = 1260 sqr cm) - 1.6 lbs (0.725 grams)

iM7 - 16.7" long (42.4 x 16.5 x 16.5 cm = 11544 sqr cm) - 8 lbs (3.62kg) *without 8 D-Cell batteries (say +2.5 lbs (1.13kg)) = 10.5lbs / 4.75kg

So mm50 is 1/10th the size and 1/5th the weight...

18. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

The iM7 seems much bigger in my opinion. I don't actually have it yet, but I think the mm50 will do for tailgating (at least my needs anyway).

I'm sure the iM7 is probably louder though, if that is what you primarily want/need.

19. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Well the MM50 I bought as a gift went down well at the birthday party. People were walking up to it, placed next to a Sony hi-fi system, and asking if the music was really coming out of the "little speakers" or the hi-fi.

I think it's a great package for the price and would love one myself (Christmas pressie hint! ;) )

20. tykles thread starter macrumors member

Hi,
    Thanks all for your input. I ended up going with the iM7, and I am VERY satisfied. It sounds really good and has been able to project the volume that i need it to. It is quite heavy, but not such that its a problem for me (so far).
    Thanks again for your help - Happy New Year!

21. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

If you want to use away from a power source and not use batteries, you can always use a power inverter with your car or truck. For instance, at a tailgate or if you have your car camping (don't know what kind of camping you do). Just plug the inverter into a 12V car outlet, plug in the im7 and you pull power off the car battery. Just turn the car on every once in a while.
    One with sufficient size and wattage will run you about $30. Radio Shack, Lowes, Home Depot, all good places to look. I use one to run a portable DVD player in the car for my kids.
    BTW, i have the im7 and love it. My wife and I move it all over the house, outside everything. It is perfect. But I do wish it had an AM/FM radio.