Speakers on a 12" PowerBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jknight8907, Jun 25, 2004.

1. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Are there speakers on the 12" PB, if so where are they? I can't see any on it.

Thanks

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yes, on the back of the computer on the 2 sides those grills are speakers. There is a third speaker. People here say it is in the hinge of the screen. I have heard under the keyboard.

3. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

It's a "midrange booster" speaker, it "starts" under the keyboard and ends near the vent on the back of the machine, it's just to the right of it.

AppleMatt

4. KiDrOck80 macrumors member

KiDrOck80

i think apple should put BOSE speakers in their laptops haha....it would probably jack up the price of the computer too...ehh just a thought

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

BOSE speakers are way overated. I'm very happy with the sound quality of the speakers on my 12". They're the best laptop speaker's I've heard.

6. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Thats interesting. I had wondered what those grills were. Seems like it would make the sound go out instead of up to you.... I guess they should work alright for laptop speakers though.

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    all laptop speakers dont have great sound quality; the 17 i have has acceptable sound quality, but nothing beats headphones and a usb digital audio out

8. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Actually, the true genius of the design is that when the lid is open, the sound is reflected off the screen ;).

9. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

Actually, not

reflecting soundwaves is a surefire way to create a bad sounding speaker. If it was a truly innovative design, it would have looked more like the 17 inches.

10. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

Correct. For the insider on bose, read:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html

11. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

First time switcher here...
    and noticed that the maximum volume of speakers on my 17" Powerbook for iTunes and iChat seems reallyl quiet?

Is this some Mac etiquette to be polite to other users?

For when I play a DVD or something with Quicktime - the max volume is significantly louder?

Oh yeah and the other thing - if when listening to iTunes or iChat - if I plug in my iPod headphones - all of a sudden it is also significantly louder?

Am I missing something? or unable to find some defaul hidden setting?

Cheers

12. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

In iTunes, is the volume control in the application itself turned up all the way?

13. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

ah so the Vol in the toolbar - doesn't override any open apps like in WinDoze.
    Ok so that get iTunes louder - mate thanks... this week with so many late nights sitting up playing - I'm missing the obvious!

I'm used to having to find hard solutions on a PC!
    I am having to rethink my whole approach to computing!

The other night when I set all my mail - and my primary email wasn't working it took me hourse to work out what was wrong - searching for set up menus, protocols, etc... and that turned out to be a simple thing as well!

Maybe I should put a 24hr delay on myself before I post in here in the future!