Speakers that can fill a room.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LoganT, Mar 19, 2007.

1. LoganT macrumors 68020

I need some speakers that can fill a room, and be relatively cheap. I heard the Bose Companion 2's were good.

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

If you want something made by Apple you could go with the Hi-Fi. They "fill a room" according to Apple.

3. Keebler macrumors 68030

well, filling a room with cheap speakers might mean you have cheap, crappy sound :)

i highly recommend Audio Engine's speakers.

www.audioengineusa.com

higher priced but the sound is phenomenal. absolutely rock solid. i play all types of music and the speakers handle the ranges very well. and they connect to an ipod directly or better yet, to an airport express if you have one (ie. as in, right on the back of 1 speaker! = no receiver needed :)

Cheers,
    Keebler

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

5. bartelby macrumors Core

6. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

About 12x10 SQ. Feet. Maybe a little more or a little less.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

To fill a room with speakers... you're gonna need a lot of speakers or some very large speakers. Why would you want to fill a room with speakers again? Are you some sort of speaker collector and you want to know how to store them in a dedicated speaker room?

I'm sorry... That joke was supposed to be funnier... It sounded funny in my head but, now just reading it... it lost it's funniness. Oh well.

8. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

Well I plan on watching my 24" iMac as a TV. And my room is not very big at all.

9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Get the Bose if you like the sound of them. They can easily fill the room with sound.

10. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

NO way, try Bang and Olufsen for something a lot more richer. (bad grammar but who cares?)

11. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

What are you going to be driving these speakers with?

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

12 x 10 is not a large room. Standard bookshelf speakers or reasonable quality computer speakers will be plenty loud. If you want gut-thumping bass then look for a system with a subwoofer.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

14. esaleris macrumors 6502

What's your budget?

If it's lower than $200, I'd recommend a multimedia sound system, like Logitech's or Klipsch's.

If your budget is between $200 and $500, I'd recommend a Home-Theater-in-a-Box, like the Onkyo HT-590 or HT-790.

If your budget is between $500 and $1000, I'd recommend either a 5.1 system with the entry-level systems at your local Best Buy or Circuit City, or a higher-quality 2.1 system. Consider an Onkyo AVR + Polk Monitor Series (Circuit City), or a Pioneer AVR + JBL Studio Series (Best Buy) or the the SVS SBS-01 + SVS Sub + Receiver (svsound.com).

If your budget is between $1000 and $2000, I'd recommend visiting a home theater store and get an AVR from Denon, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, or HK, with a speaker system from Paradigm, Ascend Acoustics, Bowers & Wilkins, Vienna Acoustics, Klipsch, KEF, NHT, Monitor Audio etc. I'd heartily recommend the Paradigm Monitor v5 series or the B&W 600 series.

If your budget is between $2000 or more, you should know what you're getting yourself into and probably wouldn't be asking your question here, I'm assuming...

BOSE would only be a consideration if space is an absolute premium. Dollar-for-dollar, the sound quality is not that great, compared to these options. Bang & Olufsen would only be a consideration if style is an absolute premium. Dollar-for-dollar, they are poor performers compared to these options as well.

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Even if your budget is $1000 (which I doubt) I'd still go with the Onkyo HT-790. I have it and it sounds as good as $1000 systems for only $500.

16. JDN macrumors 6502a

I agree with going the separate amp/speaker set up instead of computer speakers.

I'd like to add Yamaha to the AVR list. They do a good range and very good quality for the money.

This route is far more upgradeable than just getting a decent set of computer speakers.

17. ruftytufty macrumors member

Don't know what you mean by "cheap" (it's always relative), but I got a Klipsch iFi system about a year ago for a g/f, and its sound is incredible. Street price is about $250. Reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Klipsch_iFi/4505-7868_7-31417596.html

You can use have both a line-level and ipod inputs (actually, two line-level inputs, but the way the inputs interact is non-standard - I can't remember for sure, but I think that if the 3rd input is plugged in, it overrides the iPod input. And, I think the 1st line input is mixed with the iPod input).

Biggest negative is that the subwoofer is pretty big. The satellites can be wall mounted (hardware included).

18. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

As already said, best thing to do is to buy a seperate amp then add the speakers.

A fairly decent amp will cost you around $200-300. If you want to FILL a room with sound, get an AV Receiver Amplifier (i.e. a surround sound system). This allows you to connect several speakers to the one amp and give you the option for surround sound via the optical out from the Apple TV (least I think Apple TV gives you surround sound if your source offers it). Having 2 speakers at the rear and 3 at the front, you will definitely fill your room.

Good thing about creating your own system is you don't have to buy all at once - get the amp with this month's paycheck, get the front speaker's with next month's and the rears after that and so on.

Another investment if you did go down the line of an AV Receiver is a decent sub woofer. This is what gives you the deep bass - brilliant for movies aswell as music (if you ever had a rave going on in that room!).

If you want a system to last you, your best looking at buying each part individually as opposed to a system that is ready made.

My sound system gives damn good bass response while maintaining high clarity of sound, and since I built the thing it only costed me $700. I have 2 front speakers (big tall ones) and 2 rear speakers (small ones), a 10" Sub Woofer and a 500 watt AV Receiver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

****. I just cleaned this notebook's screen. Fortunately it was just water.

20. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Boses's Companions are good. The Sound Sticks are great as are the JBL Encounters (sory but i havent seen many hugh end expensive speaker systems)

21. ruftytufty macrumors member

re: the ifi speakers - klipsch is selling refurbs on ebay for $150 + shipping. looks like they may have been discontinued.

22. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

23. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Depends if you're looking for a 2.0, 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 system.

If you're looking for a 2.0 then there's some M-Audio speakers (I think) which are actually supposed to be studio monitors, but people have said they are very good quality computer speakers to.

24. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The DX4's. I think they're pretty good for the money and fuss-free.