speakers without power lead.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MinorBidoh, Feb 6, 2006.

1. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

hi, im looking for the best pair of speakers for my mac that dont need an external power supply. the speakers need to be powered by my mac as im having a mini socket war with my flatmate :p . does anyone know of some half way decent speakers of this such? cheers.

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

3. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

It's not going to happen with any halfway decent speakers, because your Mac's audio out is at a line level, which means that it needs to be amplified if it's going to power any speaker bigger than headphones.

4. MinorBidoh thread starter macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

ahh, i see. could do power strip but would be nice if speakers could power ipod when im away as well camping. i know there are docks speaker stations for ipods but i thought i may be able to kill too small birds with one stone. alas. thanks anyhoo.

5. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

6. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

USB delivers great sound... the signal is digital and isolated from interference from the other electronics... and Altec Lansing really does make very high quality speakers. :)

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ummm... yes, you can get digital sound signal out the USB port, at CD quality, but you're still faced with the limitation of 5V maximum 500 milliAmps from the power buss on the USB port. In order to power an amplifier with such a paltry electrical source, the speakers have to sacrifice most of the bass and much of the accuracy for sheer volume. So -- the USB signal is grand, right up until the moment the speakers start moving the air, then it goes all pear shaped.