Speakers-Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by njstaffer, Sep 15, 2005.

1. njstaffer macrumors regular

I am currently interested in buying speakers for my iMac G5 (rev A.) My price range is around the 200 dollar mark. Currently, I am looking at the Kardon SoundSticks II. I want a set of speakers that give crisp sound and that come with a Subwoofer.

In your opinion what are the best speakers for my iMac?

(P.S. I am not an audiophile, so please keep the details simple. Thx) :D

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

$200 will get you some Altec Lansing FX6021's with change to spare :cool:. I'm sitting here listening to them now and they sound fantastic, not only that, they look great with your iMac too.

3. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

You'll likely get many opinions, but here's my endorsement for Klipsch Promedia 2.1. The sound is outstanding, full and crystal clear. I got them for $200 CAN.

4. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

I would take a look at the Klipsch ProMedia GMX 5.1 speakers - when I was at the Apple Store recently, I asked 3-4 of the employees there what their favorite speakers were. Almost all of them picked these - they said the sound quality was excellent.
    They're $199 at the Apple Store but cheaper elsewhere on the web (e.g. $149 at Amazon).
    I think the only knock on them is they're not particularly aesthestically pleasing.

Good luck!

5. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Do Macs support 5.1 sound?

I was under the impression that it was pointless to go the 5.1 route because the Apple soundcards don't support surround sound.

6. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Those look great. What kind of functions are on that control panel?

7. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

Yes it does ( my G5 iMac supports it through optical)I use the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 THX surround system and it rocks for PC speakers. Out of the price range of the original poster though.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Power, volume, bass & treble control. You also get an infrared remote for it :cool:.

Attached Files:

9. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Some of the Apple products contain an optical out, which will send 5.1 information to a surround sound speaker. As such you still need the receiver to decode the information.

10. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have the soundsticks and absolutely love them. Great sound, and looks great!!

I was able to get a couple of used sets for $50 each, so if you look around you may be able to get it for cheap also.

Good luck shopping!!

11. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

The Altec Lansing FX6021 are really great speakers - I was playing around with some a while ago at the Apple Store in Birmingham.

The sound from these speakers is fantastic. I really like the idea of having the controls at hand and not on the speakers themselves.

Attached Files:

12. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

...and what are "these" speakers? :confused:

14. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yes, for DVDs, if you've got a Mac with optical sound out. For games, the answer is still yes, but you have to buy a sound card with analog surround output, like the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 or 7.1, and so far only half-a-dozen or so games actually have true surround. Since those are PCI cards, that obviously only works with Power Macs.

For $200 I got a refurb Onkyo 5.1 set with free shipping early this year. Don't know if they still have any offers like that, but it would be worth looking into. I'd also spent about $200 or so for a Logitech Z-680 system earlier, but I sold them to get the Onkyo which is much better quality. (Ironically better for using with my computer, even though the Z-680s are "computer" speakers, and went to someone who's happy using them with a TV and DVD player.)

Edit: I forgot about the Griffin FireWave, which is a $100 product that will let any Mac with FireWire have 5.1 surround, but it still doesn't seem to be out yet. I thought it was supposed to be released this summer....

--Eric

15. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

16. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

I use Soundsticks II

Attached Files:

17. jamie85 macrumors newbie

FX6021 buzzing?

I've read in reviews that the FX6021s tend to emit a "buzzing" noise in the UK (it doesn't seem to happen in the US). Have you noticed this, or has it been fixed?

18. tiselday macrumors member

Same for the FX5021

I bought a FX5021 back in february, and since then, been living with a constant low hiss and buzz sounds coming both from the subwoofer (more like a hum sound) and the speakers (a hiss). I coped with it until three weeks ago, and then decided to contact Altec about it. They were willing to replace the defective unit (the amplifier sitting in the subwoofer, as I have tested the satelites with other sound sources and they sound great) and so I sent it back to Luxembourg (50E shipping!!).

I am still waiting for it to come, though. :(

My advice: I cannot recommend Altec Lansing as of today, we'll see when I get the replacement.

19. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Swans M200

I know you said you wanted a subwoofer but these are full-sized monitors with a 5" woofer so it does have good bass for monitors. If you're a fan of bloated mid-bass it probably wouldn't be for you. They do fit your price-range though. I picked up a pair for $170 on buy.com. The only thing you need to ensure is that you have the desk space for these babies.

Swans also came out with a revision of this speaker or maybe it's another line but same type of speaker - the Swans S200A. Not sure what these cost but I would think it would be comperable to the M200s. IMO, the S200A look significantly better. It is certainly a more industrial design that would go better with Macs.

20. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

21. cwright macrumors 6502a

I love my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system. It's surprisingly loud and clear for relatively small speakers. excellent bass too.

22. ValGor macrumors newbie

Logitech® Z-5500 Digital with pb15' ?

Anyone uses Logitech® Z-5500 Digital with powerbook 15'? Is this a good idea?
    Thanks.

23. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

BEWARE OF THESE SPEAKERS. I am currently of my second set of these speakers. The first set i had for about 5 months and then moved them to a neew apartment. I packaged them up nice in the original box so that no damage would come to them. When i set them back up the sub was not working. After gettin new ones I needed to bring them out to a party and once again packaged them with care and upon arrival the left channel on the sub was not working. I am furious and i now want a full refund because klipsch couldnt pay me to use another set of these poorly made speakers. Keep in mind that while they worked i thought they sounded the best for the money.

24. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

When I was playing around with these speakers i never heard anything, but i was in the Apple store and there was a awful lot of people in there. I would thought that the buzz would be caused by bad earthing or a PSU being to close.

25. mohaukachi macrumors member

logitech z-2300 is what i put my 100 bucks into. i really dont need surround for a computer so why put the extra money there? great bass smooth highs and a good ammount of midrange for a 3 piece system. you can see them here if you like. pretty slick.