Speakers...?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ShockWave, Nov 25, 2005.

1. ShockWave macrumors newbie

Greetings fellow Mac lovers..

I recently bought an iBook (G4, 1.33 processor, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD) and am looking to buy some speaker.. I will shortly be purchasing the AirPort thingy to pay my music wirelessly aswell.. Moving out into a house with my mates soon (in Studentville, lol) so will be having many many houseparties - these speakers will need to be fairly loud while not distorting..

My friend has recommended the Harman/Kardon Soundsticks 2 - which I can get for £100ish from PCWorld/Dixons/eBuyer..

Just looking for any further products that may be worth taking a look at??

All suggestions welcome :)

-SW-

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have the JBL creatures. they are made by the same people who do the soundsticks (even though they are not labeled as being harmon kardon). the sub has good strong bass, and the speakers, though looking only small, go very loud and clear. they cost me £100ish when new but i think they are closer to £50 so i would say they are excellent value. get them and treat yourself to something else!

3. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

You may want to check this thread and this thread -- both have pretty good advice.

I hope your Airport thingy accepts wireless payments. :D

5. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

JBL Creature Speakers are the best value on the market, hands down. Nothing approaches them in ther price range. They get louder than you'd think, with less distortion than you'd think possible from such tiny satellites, but I don't think they are loud enough to fill a whole house. I hear the Altec Lansing FX-6021s are great if you can afford them.

6. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

I'd say either the Creatures of the Klipsch Promedia series. I have the Soundsticks and although they look really good with my G4 tower they are kind of weak. The sub distorts when it's really loud and they don't go as loud as I'd like when I'm roaming the house. They do sound really good with a lot of clarity when they are at a nominal level though. Not quite worth the $100 I spent on them.

7. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

FX6021 are great. Bit more quality and power than JBL Creature speakers. Cost a bit more too.

8. ShockWave thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice people.. looks like there's a varied price range between all the suggestions - I'll be sure to check them all out!

-SW-

9. Kalinatek macrumors regular

i have the HK Soundsticks 2 , they r amazing! dont even look at anything else , just get the Soundsticks n thank me latter :D

10. Project macrumors 68020

I concur.....

11. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Gotta love the SoundSticks! They are great speakers and look awesome to boot (see avatar).

12. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

sound sticks win my vote
    get the sound sticks I (not 2) for the h/k refurbised store pretty cheap)
    i think $80 but dont quote me on that

13. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Just found some great deals at amazon. JBL creature II's for 61.22 and the HK Soundsticks 2 are for 109.24. :eek:

Now I'm caught between a rock and hard place. I don't which to get!

14. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Update: I caved in. :eek:

I bought the HK Soundsticks 2 for 109.24 from Amazon. I'm using the free shipping which is through the postal service.

Can't wait to get them! :D

15. mbl42 macrumors 6502a

I have the Creative I-Trigue 3300 2.1 Speakers that I could sell or trade you after Christmas when I get the new JBL Invaders. PM me if your interested. Mine are in good condition, not blown out or anything.

16. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Are you saying you want a home stereo type system to play over airport express? if It's that, I can't help you. Otherwise, I second everybody's opinion about the creative I trigue (the ones that look like 3 blobs). I have them and they sound great, especially for how cheap they are. whatever you do, stay away from bose. ridiculously overpriced.