Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by samanthas, Mar 16, 2006.

1. samanthas macrumors regular

I've been looking at the Creative I-Trigue 3400 and the JBL Creature II. I know there are other posts about these, but I couldn't find find any posts comparing the two (I'm sorry if there is, but I couldn't find any). I'm just having a hard time deciding which to go with and just want to hear more opinions from people who have messed around with both of these speakers.

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Buy both, take 'em for a spin, and return the lesser of the two.

3. samanthas thread starter macrumors regular

I can't afford to buy both. I wish I could though.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Honestly, if you don't like the speakers then take them back before the return period is over. I've had to test out a lot of my equipment since I can't afford to buy 5 DVD recorders and pick the best one.

5. emaja macrumors 68000

What kind of music do you listen to? That would make a big difference in any ideas or recommendations.

I listen to a lot of classic jazz and classical, but also prog and rock. I have very eclectic tastes. I have used the Creatives and have never been impressed by their speakers. I think the Creatures are overrated for their price also. If you want to spend about $100 on speakers, then I recommend that you take a look at the Logitech Z-4s which also come in white as the Z-4i or even the Z-2300s which I am using right now.

The Z-2300s are stunning for the price and I compare them very favorably to the Klipsch 2.1s. Right now, New Egg has the 2300s on sale for an absolutely amazing $45.99 - after rebate. They are worth much, much more.

The Z-4s go for about $63.00 and the Z-4is a little more at $70-ish. Either is better than the Creatives and not a bad substitute for the Z-2300s, but since the 2300s are cheaper, they would be a great buy.

6. samanthas thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I'll probably do. I just wanted to hear some opinions. How long is the Apple return policy (I know that Apple has the Creatures). 14 days right? Or is that just the computers?

7. samanthas thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I listen to pretty much any type of music. My favorite bands are probably Aerosmith and Everclear though, if that gives you an idea.

I was actually looking at the Z-4i's as well.

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I have the Z-3s and enjoy them quite a bit.

I listen to everything from Bach and Bachman Turner Overdrive to Tool, Tori Amos, Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM, Pantera, Norah Jones, and Ani Difranco.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I just checked one of my Apple Store receipts and there's no mention of a different policy for third party returns. I'd say try them out for a week and return it if you don't like it.

10. samanthas thread starter macrumors regular

11. CompUser Guest

Apple is stupid, and will probably charge you a restocking fee.

12. samanthas thread starter macrumors regular

Really? Maybe I can get them to let me test it before I buy. When I went to buy my iMac they actually had the Creatures hooked up to the iMacs but I didn't test them.

13. emaja macrumors 68000

Apple charges a 10% restocking fee for any opened hardware or accessory.

I will support Apple for computers, but third party stuff I will get from either a local retailer or online like at New Egg. They might still charge a restocking fee, but their prices are so much better than I can live with it.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I returned an Apple Bluetooth mouse in 7 days and I got a full refund. :confused:

15. emaja macrumors 68000

Maybe they waived it for you, but Apple's website does say there is a restocking fee.

16. samanthas thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I've been reading (some more) and have decided to get headphones instead of speakers. I just listen to music by myself anyway and I heard that you can get better headphones for cheaper (compared to speakers). I was thinking the Sennheiser HD497 headphones...

17. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

aw, but headphones don't throw the bass around.

Those Logitech Z2300s that were mentioned are
    nothing to sneeze at! Clear highs, nice low
    frequency bass, and PLENTY of power to spare.

I couldn't believe how much power and quality
    I got for the small amount of money I spent
    on them. They are performance speakers!

18. findpankaj macrumors member

klipsch are very nice.

Same for me...except
    --I returned it, the next day.
    --Person on the counter looked at me for 2-3 seconds ..suspicious hmmm:eek: :mad:

Regarding Speakers:

Klipsch 2.1 Promedia are the best!! You cannot return them
    One small problem, they don't have wireless/wired remote.

19. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I love my Creature II. I dont know about the other ones but the Creatures are very clear and relatively cheap. The sub can hit hard too