Speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ezkimo, Nov 2, 2003.

1. ezkimo macrumors regular

Im looking to buy some speakers that I can use on my mac (currently snow iMac, but dual G5 fairly shortly)..I have been leaning towards
    Creatures ($84.99) or
    Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 (114.99 after rebate)

Any recommendations?

-Zach

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

For my forthcoming G5 / 20" Cinema I got the Apple Pro Speakers with the iFire Adapter by Griffen Technology A little pricey, but the speakers look good with the monitor, and IMO the iSight ties those in with the case on the G5. LOL trying to make it work so I don't bumb when the new displays come out :eek:

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yea, for 2.1 speakers, I just saw some really awesome ones at BestBuy the other day. I have a pair of lowend logitechs, and they really do sound great. Awesome bass, nice audio...but here are the ones I want next...

Either these which are more expensive, but I am positive they are cheaper on eBay.

Or these which I am sure are also cheaper on eBay. This model looks really cool, and sounds great.

[EDIT]- The first set of speakers for 119 from Amazon.com

The second set was 72.00 from Amazon.com

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i've heard good things about the creatures. soundsticks also come highly recommended. personally i would choose an iFire with Pro speakers, but that's aesthetic... they're not necessarily the greatest speakers (tho they're pretty good in their own right)...

pnw

5. jilter macrumors newbie

I have a 17" Imac.......I like the look of the Apple Pro , but I have a set of nice Altec Lansing with a subwoofer. It looks like the subwoofer receives its power from the sattelite, so I guess I can not use the subwoofer with the Apple Pro's....?
    I assume I can hook up the AL's to the Imac?
    Thanks.

6. ezkimo thread starter macrumors regular

I ended up ordering the Klipsch speakers. Arriving Monday. I listened to a friends and they have very good sound quality. Happy:p

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The Klipsch 4.1 speakers I had were awesome. You're gonna love yours.

8. pinto32 macrumors 6502

you made the right choice! They may not match aesthetically as well, but they make excellent speakers!

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i have a set of sound sticks with the sub... while it looks a little outdated now, as compared to the G5, they sound great

10. stromie952 macrumors regular

Rower, I am considering buying the Klipsch 4.1 speakers but I am unsure of the connections necessary.

I have an 17" iMac with just the standard headphone, line in and apple pro speaker ports.

Do i need to buy an external 5.1 sound card to use those speakers or will they give out 4.1 sound just through the headphone/line in?

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

stromie-

The speakers have 2 stereo plugs (1 for the fronts, 1 for the rears). You'd have to find some sort of adapter or external card that gives you 4.1 output, otherwise the best you'll get is stereo out of all 4.

12. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

I am extremely happy with my Logitech Z560s - they are 4.1 and sound wonderful. They have a lot of power too.. without distortion. A friend has the 5.1's - the Z680s and they are also amazing. I would highly recommend the Logitech products, especially since they are pretty affordable considering the excellent sound they emit.