Speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Macmaniac, May 20, 2002.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I am interested in getting some speakers for my iMac snow. I have a budget of about $200, I like the iSub and sound sticks, but I am also looking at Altec Lansing setups which have more speakers and cost less! What should I do?

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Altec Lansing's speakers are pretty good (I have them), but if you're concerned with aesthetics, I would go with the iSub and sound sticks.

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Check out Cambridge SoundWorks speakers. You can get the top end pc line from them for under $200 (two satellites with a subwoofer that will shake your place). One system is shown here... http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/multimedia/microworks_blk.htm

Don't let the small satellite size fool you... they are kickin

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I have a 5.1 Cambridge System and the SoundSticks/iSub and the harman/kardon package is louder, but it lacks 5.1. I personally would go for the Sound Sticks/iSub due to they are probably the most accurate speakers on the market at a sub $200 price tag.

Ensign

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I would prefer to have a higher quality of sound for less money then louder. The iSub costs way too much for me to justify it. Besides hearing about people having problems with it (or it's connection).

The CSW speakers are a better price, and have excellent sound. The only surround system I have is connected to my tv/dvd system, not my computer. Since I use the peecee only for games, I couldn't justify spending the $$ on 5.1 for that. I could always do it in the future though.

6. stromie952 macrumors regular

I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 setup and I love it.
    The quality is fantastic and it can definitely go as loud as you need it to.
    They ran $180 when I bought them.

Comes with 2 satellites and a sub with controls for volume and sub on the right hand satellite.

Definitely recommended!

http://www.klipsch.com/

7. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I have the Soundsticks and the iSub. I personally have never heard clearer highs out of any speakers, but the bass leaves something to be desired. The best speakers I have ever had was with my old Dell. I had the Altec Lansing 885 ADA's. They kick serious A$$! You can buy the 995's I belive they are called from Dell for around 200. They are figgin awesome.

8. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I got a set of Bose speakers for my iBook and love them. Bose does not offer a subwoofer for the speaker package, but they have quite good base ports. They are attractive and compact. Look real nice with my iBook. I think you can get them in several different colors. Cost is around $100.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Again, I am siding with Cambridge Soundworks. I do not have them, but Alphatech and resm seem to know what is going on with them. (Ask and I will bring up more information on why they have recommended CSworks.)

My dad owns a stereo store in New York and he can tell you that Cambridge Soundworks work much better than iSub and the Pro Speakers. I will be looking to get that model Alphatech mentioned soon, since I feel like waking up a few people, stray cats, and crows downtown! :)

Any time is a great time for iPod.
    Working on avatar and new signature...
    Planning to retire current signature.

10. TypeR389 macrumors member

DT2500

I have the CSW 5.1 setup, and I they are the best sounding sub 200 5.1 speakers out there. I love the apple speakers, but they put form in front of function, which IMHO is bad for a speaker. function MUST come first for something that is made to listen to primarly. if you don't need the 5.1, I really liked the klipsch 4.1 speakers, I thought they were just a tad more musical, and defintly louder than the DT2500 (thogh you will have no problem with these, I actually vibrated a picture frame off the wall watching a movie), so I think depensing on your needs, do the following

2 ch music primary: Get the klipsch
    best all around: CSW DT2500 (havn't heard newer models)
    best asthetics: iSticks and sub

My $.02...

11. iGav macrumors G3

I can only speak for the sound sticks and iSub... and in my opinion they are truely superb.... fab quality..... and the iSub certainly knocks out some deep bass......

And nothing comes close with regards to aesthetics!!... so I'd say... unless you're ultra serious about your audio work, don't ignore the Soundsticks and iSub..... :)

12. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Get a bookshelf stereo system. Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Aiwa... anything will do. Better sound quality than PC speakers, plus you get a remote control, a CD player, a radio tuner, lots of nice blinky lights and knobbies, and possibly a tape deck, as a bonus.

Alex

13. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Thanks for the advice! I will look over my options.

14. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Quick Ques

I am looking ay the cambridge models and they look nice, one question, how do they hook up to your computer? This may sound kinda dumb. Here is a pic, is the input for the speakers the little plug with the speaker with the waves coming out?
    Thanks I am not up to speed on these things. LOL

Attached Files:

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

Oh yeah. How to hook it up.

Since the Cube I use has no audio input/output source for plain audio I would basically have a problem hooking up the speakers to the computer. Do I need an audio/USB converter for this?

Any time is a great time for iPod.
    Working on avatar and new signature...
    Planning to retire the current signature.

16. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I'd agree, but that I can't stand plastic speakers. Plastic is not symapthetic to sound. Sure they look great, but put them next to wood speakers of half the cost and hear the difference for yourself.

I used to live in Cambridge and I've been to their flagship store many times. These guys are serious about sound the way that Apple is serious about simplicity and elegance.

I think the aesthetics speak for themselves. But if it's sound you want, stay clear of plastic! ...get it? Clear of plastic? Ha...:rolleyes:

17. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

if you want one of the best speaker systems then try out Creative Labs Inspire 5700

Creative Inspire™ 5.1 Digital (5700) brings Dolby® Digital 5.1 and Digital Theater Surround (DTS) technologies to your set-top DVD player, gaming console, or PC. Inspire 5.1 Digital (5700) includes a Creative SLAM™ subwoofer with a highly reinforced, dual chamber cabinet for thunderous bass. The satellites' high performance drivers and contoured faceplates and driver rims provide optimum sound dispersion and sonic imaging. For the most thrilling cinema-quality movies, music and games on your PC or TV, and extensive decoder amplifier connectivity, get the Inspire 5.1 Digital (5700) speaker system.

Superb 5.1 home-theater audio in movies and games with the most comprehensive connectivity to a set-top DVD player, gaming console or PC
    Thunderous bass from Creative SLAM™ (Symmetrically Loaded Acoustic Module) subwoofer with a highly reinforced dual chamber cabinet
    Optimum sound dispersion and sonic imaging with unique arced center channel and contoured face-plate design satellites along with contoured driver rim
    Realistic 5.1 sonic sound field with any 2 or 4 channel sound card using CMSS® feature

You can get this lovely package for about $200 if you shop around. The great thing about these speakers is that you get a built in 5.1 dolby digital and DTS built in and a nifty little remote.

what do you guys think?

check em out at
    http://www.americas.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=220&category=15&maincategory=3

18. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

19. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I second the vote on the Klipsch system. I have the 4.1 system and it's untouchable by anything else out there:

Dual 6.5" subwoofer
    400 watts power
    THX certification
    Lots of awards...

20. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I just checked out Klipsch. I had never heard of them before. Those specs are pretty impressive. I'd love to hear them up-close. Where did you guys buy them?

21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I got mine at a local PC shop, but that was because Klipsch.com was way backordered at the time...

As with any device (monitor, mouse, etc.) check it out first to see if it fits your tastes. Some audiophiles say that Klipsch speakers (PC and home theater) are a little "bright" compared to other speakers...personally I prefer a clear top end with lots of power to fill in the low parts of the range, and Klipsch definitely delivers there!

22. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

well there is one thing better the Promedia 4.1 and thats
    Promedia 5.1 500 Watt THX!!!!!
    but the guy is looking to spend around $200 so i think the creative labs inspire 5700 are a great set.

23. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Quick Ques

That is kind of a dumb question... one of very few that I have heard here that truely rate as that... I added lables to your pic, so that you can see... essentially, the top port is sound in, bottom is sound out (to speakers).

Attached Files:

24. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Re: Quick Ques

Easy tigger....He is only 15. The kid really may not know. Man, you have been on a roll lately with the harshness :p

25. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: Re: Quick Ques

I go by the commandment... 'thou shall not suffer idiots to live' :D

I knew the answer to that question when I was about 8 or 9 (shortly after getting our first computer). My nefew (turning 6 I think this summer) knows where speakers plug into on a computer (and he can barely read). Kids today should know that kind of info.... especially at 15. There is a little book that comes with EVERY Mac that tells you EXACTLY what ports are what... read a little, and you will avoid my rath, well some of it anyway... muahahahahahahaaa