Speakers

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Mar 13, 2004.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

2. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

USB is not really advisable for audio. It's exists as an option for those without any other option. Since you have a PowerMac, definitely use something that uses your line-out (Klipsch and JBL usually rank well; I'm sure Harmon Kardon makes some non-USB speakers). If you have a G5, get something that uses the optical-out; you'll get amazing sound!

The reason USB is not the best option is that it goes through the processor. Normal computer speakers (line-out) go through the sound card. Therefore, USB is dependent on your RAM and CPU - they could be busy or even if free they could just cause lowered quality and some lag. If using the sound card, audio is less dependent on other non-dedicated pieces of the computer and can deliver the best audio experience to you. Also, line-out stuff tends to be cheaper!!! ;)

3. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I have a G4, so I'll be using the regular line-out. I'll probably get the JBL Invader 4.1 then:
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50268476&pfp=BROWSE

Thanks for the info.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

"Klipsch sucks." - My father said that to me when I asked about what upgrade I should get for my Pro Speakers. And he should know: He ran a stereo/audio store for 15 years or so. According to him, Klipsch speakers sound like someone is hand-cupping the audio output. Just FYI.

5. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

i just heard the apple pro speakers tonite at compusa and i gotta say i was impressed. $59 is a damn good price too. very full sound compared to what i expected, and you gotta like the looks.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well in my opinion, the HK soundsticks are a bit overpriced and a little underpowered for what you're paying for. As for the Promedia lineup from Klipsch sounding like the "someone is hand-cupping the audio output" or rattling the plaster tiles will vary from person to person. I can't speak for the rest of Klipsch's product line since they're products range in great diversity. But then again, we're talking about desktop multimedia speakers and of course they will not rival that of a home theatre setup. If you've got your mind set on the HK soundsticks, then by all means get them. They're design certainly is unique and I'm sure will not disappoint considering you're upgrading from the internal speaker on your PM.

7. raptorhigh macrumors member

Hahahahaha. Go listen to some ProMedia 2.1s. They are one of the highest rated computer speakers you can find.
    epinions
    other review

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have Altec Lansing's ATP3s 2.1 and they sound great...they arent pricey either.....i would recomend them if you are on a budget for sure....i would go and check out whats available...see what sounds best to you

9. briankonar macrumors regular

I was originally in the market for a pair of SoundSticks plus iSub, or a pair of Creature Speakers. Apple's current implimentation of digital audio in the DVD Player and via AAC (eventually) prompted me to get a 5.1 setup instead.

I have a Logitech Z-680 system ($150 at Best Buy, $399 online, you do the math) hooked up to my Revolution 7.1's Coaxial Digital Output, and Dolby Digital on my DVD's is great :D. The Logitech can also upmix the signal from stereo to 5.1, works perfectly for iTunes and regular QT media.

on a side note, i have been unable to locate a second set of Z-680's for that price. every time i see them they are at least $300. i don't know how i got them so cheap (stupid Best Buy employee perhaps?), but if you can find them for the right price, they blow away my friend's Klipsch Ultra ProMedia 5.1 (and it comes with digital decoding unlike the klipsch which require an external box).

even if you are considering the Klipsch (and cannot find the Logitech's for the $150 price) i'd give it a second thought. They are really overrated typically based on name brand recognition. I don't think they're a bad multimedia speaker, I just feel the Logitech doesn't get the credit it deserves because of name brand.

Logitech really impressed me with these speakers. My uncle works in a professional audio equipment store (ProMusica in Chicago) and even though he doesn't feel these compare to the $10,000 + setups they have, he was really quite impressed. One negative aspect, the sub is a little "loose" and is overpowering at the manufacturer's default settings (I have mine turned to one notch above off). They even come with easily installable wall mounts (unscrew hex screw, flip mounting bracket, tighten screw, mount to wall :D ) which looks great setup around the perimeter of my ceiling).

10. russed macrumors 68000

russed

JBL creatures. they are made by the same people as the sound sticks and sound wonderful. they look nice on your desk also!

11. PlanB macrumors member

THE SOUND STICKS AE A MUST GET........

but not the usb one get the soundstick II....... amazing sound just simply amazing bast speakers i have ever listened 2.......the soundsticks 2 run off a jack from yo audio out......just super smashing great

12. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Audio out is better than USB; digital audio is best of all.

Porting Mac sound through a PowerMac audio line-out to an external receiver (just a mid-range Pioneer) then to any good shelf-top speaker (Bose, JBL, Boston, etc.) or a good package as described above, provides incredible sound.

Bose can give you amazingly BIG sound in little boxes for ease of placement around a computer.

Because I edit movies (non-pro) and want to check them before and after I burn them to DVD, I have gradually set up a small studio (hey, it just happened piece by piece). I'd never thought about it before, but one side is for computer NLE creation, then the other is for testing it out for TV and consumer use. I got the smallest (20" I think) Panasonic flat screen TV that had full S-Video type inputs that I could find (it was "last years model" and cheap) so I could "see" what my stuff looks like on a (non-monitor) real TV.
    I purposefully use a very inexpensive (open box [really - NO box, remote, manual, etc.]) Panasonic DVD player for the basic consumer "test", pipe sound through a Panasonic (hey, it just happened this way, folks; I like other brands too) 100w per channel 5.1 and some narly top end shelf speakers for surround, a Bose subwoofer, and a non descript center speaker I got on supersale at Fry's so dialogue on TV sounds more normal.
    Everything was acquired piece by piece, at Ultimate Electronics, Fry's Elec., Best Buy, and wherever I stumbled upon an incredible "deal" (I even whine a little to get even more discount; I'm bad ;) ) An old top-end Hi8 SONY takes care of 8mm archives, JVC takes care of VHS & SVHS, and all the sound goes through the Panasonic receiver.
    This is NOT my entertainment / recreation system (that's Adcom, Marantz and JVC components).

Would I like to have a 5.1 or 7.1 set of matching speakers? sure - make me a deal! And, there are DEALS - look for plain BROWN BOX sales of "refreshed" speaker sets (especially for computers) at Fry's Elec., Best Buy and sometimes Ultimate; often half price or less, and they are essentially the same thing as the new ones in the fancy boxes with colorful labels 2 isles over ...except for the price (often, same warranty).

Yamaha has some awesome 7.1, 6.1 and 5.1 consumer receivers & amplifiers (but, I like Bose speakers better), often at close out prices (Ultimate),
    or online for their Cavit computer products.
    http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/idx_cavit.asp
    [​IMG]
    Although USB or analog, the Cavit receivers manage audio signals outside of a computer, thus relieving the CPU and RAM of any burden.

The point I'm trying to make is that instead of being limited to "powered computer speakers" from Logitech, HK, or Klipsh, good sound can be easily and inexpensively acquired using other speaker and amplification alternatives than are typically supplied by dealers in computer accessories.

Especially for audio, cross-over between high-end consumer sound and sophisticated computer audio has finally arrived...and it all SOUNDS good.

13. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

When it comes to speakers there are a lot of opinions out there. I have an Uncle who's Father was the designer of the early Altec Lansing (JBL) speakers in the early and mid '60s my uncle hand built his own custom speakers and once played a sound track of an F-16 taking off, all the neighbors came running out of their houses to see where the damn plane was, considering he lived about 50 miles from the nearest airport. Anyway what sounds good to you is what you should buy. I recommend going to your local store and just spend some time and listen to different speakers. Then go to E-bay and see if you can find what you like. I picked up a pair of JBLs for about $6.95 pr. (no subwoofer) so I bought 2 pair.
    Just remember, sound is very subjective and I wouldn't buy something I didn't hear. Opinions are just that, opinions.

Good listening!

14. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

That's a pretty good idea, something I probably should have just done first. I'll keep everyone's suggestions in my mind, so I'll know what to look for.

15. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

One thing I forgot to mention, if you are like most of us, we all have old and sometimes not so old extra amplifiers or receivers lying around just begging to be combined with some speakers. And every major holiday, Fry's, Ultimate Elec., Circuit City, and all the rest fight over our $$$ with incredible discounts. So wait, look at the papers, and do a little shopping. Bet you find a killer deal.

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

A friend of mine and my roommate's brother have these. I actually haven't heard them myself, but if my Z-540 system is anything to go by... I mean, I had no idea that 41 watts (RMS of course) could be so loud! That's one of the things Logitech does extremely right, the power ratings they show are RMS, and not peak. In fact, I have no idea what the peak power of my speakers are, and I don't care :D I just know I saved my grandmother some $$ (Christmas present you see) by getting them from Apple. Yes, you read right, they were $10 cheaper from Apple then anywhere else! :confused:

17. Opteron macrumors 6502

I wouldn't go as far as to say "Klipsch suck" but I agree they are buy no means the best speakers to listen to music on. Though For home theater the high end stuff is rather good.

I reomend Energy C5/7's (floor standing speaker) and a good amp (Yamaha/NAD/Denon/Rotel)

ceck out some of the reviews from these speakers, I have the C5's and a Yamaha RX-V1300. An I assure you I can feel the quality.

Remember look at the company's core business, if it's not speakers look elsewhere.

18. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I have the creatures as well and they are very slick, especially the touch-volume sensors. They look fantastic but the excessive "cordage" keeps me awake at night. I'm not sure if other sound systems have this much "cordage" but I've tried everything in an effort to hide the cords and nothing works. Currently, I use tape and twist ties and spend a lot of my time defending the setup from the advances of my surly cat (Papillon).