Speakers

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacMaster, Aug 9, 2002.

1. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I'm currently looking at a few different kinds of speakers and was looking for reccomendations from you guys on which to get. These are the ones that I'm looking at:
    JBL Creature-Blue
    Sound Sticks
    Monsoon PM-9's
    http://www.klipsch.com/index.asp?pa...y&id=76&line=&1
    http://www.hifi.com/store/category....&item=c1mwxxeex
    and the Altec Lansing 621's
    If you have any other suggestions the guidelines are:
    They must be 2.1(I'm not dealing with that SoundBlaster Live!), they must use either USB or a normal minijack port, and they must be compatible with OS 9.1. I will use the speakers mostly gaming and a little music. All suggestions, tips, or recommendations will be welcomed!

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

I recommend anything from Cambridge Soundworks. I remember AlphaTech and resm bringing that up when I wanted a sound system (I got the 4.1 and it kills the Pro Speakers)...

All right. For some reason everything is now at the HIFI.com site.

Anyways, check out this list of 2.1 systems.

http://www.hifi.com/store/category.cgi?category=spk_multimedia

4. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

That's not a bad price for that system. THX ceritfied and all. I'll ad that to my list...

Thanks, I'm looking at this one: http://www.hifi.com/store/category.cgi?category=mul_speakers&item=c1mwxxeex

All I need is one or two more suggestions and then the hard part, making my choice...

PS: King Cobra, hows the sound blaster live working for you? After looking at some of those 4.1 speakers it sounds like a good thing to get...

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Master, I am assuming you will hook these up to your G4 450MHz as your current computer? If so, you may not need to bother with USB Audio, since your computer already has an audio output.

I have the Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000 system at home (yep, the 4.1) on my Cube using OS X and an iMic for USB Audio, and the thing works SOLID. (This is with 2 speakers at a time, since it's 4 speakers and I need an audio y-wire for the full effect, muhahahahaha).

But if all you are looking for in sound is gaming and "a little music" get something cheap, but powerful. I found the 4.1 system for $100. :eek: :p

6. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm not understanding your post correctly, but I didn't know that you could use 4.1 speakers on a Mac without the SoundBlaster live! They would just act like 2.1 speakers right? The rear speakers doing the same things as the front speakers. Not a true surround sound effect, right?

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Take a look at about 10 or 20 of the Cambridge speaker systems listed on the HIFI website and look at the descriptions. You'll notice that RARELY will you see the word MAC being used. It's all "PC" this and "PC" that. Peecees need a soundblaster card.

According to my father, who owns Macs and is the owner of a stereo store, the Macs have them built in. I guess what he means is that you don't need them. I know I didn't need the card for when I hooked up the 4.1 Surround Sound System. So, with Macs, you probably won't need a soundcard.

As for getting 2.1 sound or 4.1 sound, this may become a bit difficult to follow, so let me go slow.

Because I purchased a 4.1 system I have 2 channels of rear and front audio. Each has its own separate audio plug. So if I plug in the audio jack for the rear speakers I get sound from both rear speakers. If I plug in the audio jack for the front speakers I get sound from the front speakers. But because I only have one port for audio and I need two, I have to get an adapter. In this case, I need something to separate 2 channels of music from a one channel audio jack. And the way to do this would be to use some sort of an audio Y-wire. Each of the two jack for front/rear goes into the slots for front/rear, so I can separate the two channels. Then plug and play. (In order to get any sound out of my Mac (Cube, USB audio) I need an iMic, which converts regular audio to USB, or vice versa. But for this case we're assuming the system is being hooked up to JUST the audio port.)

8. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand. I still think I'll stick with 2.1 though...

Now the hard part...choosing.:cool:

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I have the Cambridge SoundWorks DeskTop Theater 5.1. I've been waiting for the SoundBlaster 5.1 card to go along with it. Unfortunately, Creative have only given us a fourpoint card so far.

The audio is reasonably good. Notice that this is coming from someone who has a Yamaha high-end receiver, Bose 901 series VI speakers in front, a Bose center channel speaker, and Advent surround speakers in the next room.

Of the choices you've given, I'd probably pick the Klipsch or the Altec-Lansing. JBL have never made (to my ears) speakers which reproduce sound realistically. If I was trying to impress someone with looks, I'd pick the SoundSticks...they just look so kewl. :D

10. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

yeah man woohoo pro speaker all the way, otz otz fully sick:D

11. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

my choice

Well I've narrowed it down to two speakers, the Monsoon PM-9's and the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's. But, because of cost constraints(sp?)(I'm saving up to get a PM G4 466-733 on ebay)I think I'll choose the Monsoon's. I have always liked the look of flat pannel speakers and I've heard some good things about those speakers. I also like them because they're small and won't take up that much room on my desk. I'll probably order them on monday or tuesday...
    Thanks for your help guys!!!:)

12. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I got a cambridge soundworks system for $80 last year, the 2.1 digital, and it kicks @$$... The sub on the system rocks my whole house...

13. vniow macrumors G4

I've got the Cambridge 5300 5.1 with my SBLive! 5.1 on my PC. The satellites are pretty good fo their size and price, but the subwoofer's kinda weak. I'd upgrade it, but it's also my amplifier.:( Listening to DVDs sound prety good on it, considering this is in my 12x12 bedroom. I've got a lot of mp3s so the Pro Logic II in my DVD software is MUCH of an improvement (for some songs anyway) Anywayz, I reccomend the Cambridge if you've got a small room and don't listen to a lot of drum and bass music. :p

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have the mid level 2.1 system (the one selling for $70 now) on my game system and it ROCKS!. I have the $150 system waiting to be connected (going to put the smaller set onto a cd player/radio).

IMnsHO, for the money, you cannot beat the quality of CSW. They also have a 45 day, no questions asked (no restocking fee) return policy. If you want enough base to keep the neighbors awake (I do that with the smaller of my two sets right now when playing games) as well as clean all around sound (great top end, as well as base) get the CSW set. With the return policy they have, it won't hurt to give them a good/fair shot.

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have the DTT3500 system attached to my tv/dvd/vcr and I can't see how the subwoofer is weak... I watched some anime the other night, and it ROCKS!

With ALL surround sound systems, proper placement is critical to quality sound. I have it set up in my living room (smallish 1 bedroom apartment) which is approx. 12x14 and have never had any complaints about the sound. That is also with company coming over to watch movies and such. It really does help if the signal you are giving it is in surround sound.

You might want to recheck your connections, since something could be loose.

16. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Alpha, you've done it again!:p You've made me think now...ahhhhhh! Stop it! My brain is fighting with itself!!!:eek:

I'll get back to you on my final decision after my brain has sorted itself out...

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

BTW, I have kept my downstairs neighbor awake while playing Commanche 4 on the pc (the sound of the nose gun did it :D). My living room is at the back of the house, and his bedroom is on the floor below me, and at the front of the house. That was with the subwoofer at 1/2 volume too... :D

18. vniow macrumors G4

Oops, It's the Insipre 5300. Not the Cambridge. You've got the DTT 5300. THAT's why your subwoofer rocks and mine sucks.:D It still thumps when I listen to somthing with a lot of bass, like an action movie or something by the Cinematic Orchestra, other than that, it works great. One cool thing about it is it fakes a center channel if you've only got a 4.1 output. It's not an actual center, but it's nice to have it there anyway. Maybe I have a loose connection from playing it too loud. :p

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

CSW makes the DTT3500... It's right on the link provided in another post... :p

20. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Still thinking........

Alpha, do I need to get anything extra to get the DTT3500 speakers to work with my computer?

21. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

You could just do what I'm going to do and hook your computer up to a full fledge stereo. None of the computer specific setups are going to come close to the sound this is going to make. (both quality wise and loudness).

BEN

22. aznatari macrumors member

I would recommend buying the sound sticks if you want the power and have the money. But if you want go with the creativity and pretty good price, go with the JBL Creature Speakers. Those are my recommendations.

atari

23. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I've decided that I'm going to go out to Circuit City and some other speaker stores(and electronics stores) and see if I can hear some of these speakers for myself today or tomorrow.

24. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i bought the sound sticks and i love them, the only problem is that it takes a second fot the computer to realise that they are plugged in and switch to using them. alpha do you know of any way to fix this?
    but other than that i fell that they are the coolest ones on the market, although some people say they look like sex toys

25. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I've narrowed the choices to two again and they are the Creature blue's and the Monsoon PM-9's.(really cool/kinda cool, but more functional) I really like the look and features of the creature speakers(hey that rhymes!), but will 11 more watts per channel and a 2 1/2" bigger sub make that much more of a difference? Right now I'm leaning towards the creatures(they're just soooooo cool!), but I need a final push in one direction or the other...