Speaking of AI...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Taft, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

This is from slashdot. The idea that this robot "learned" to fly...really cool. The other article cited is cool too. A robot escaped from its creators and was later recaptured.

Proof that some level of AI is currently being acheived.

Taft

link: http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/08/16/0324242&mode=thread&tid=126

From the slashdot blurb...

jerkychew writes: "For those of you that read my last post about the robot escaping its captors, there's more news regarding robots and AI. According to this Reuters article, scientists in Sweden created a robot that essentially 'learned to fly' in just three hours. The robot had no preprogrammed instructions on how to achieve lift, it had to deduce everything through trial and error. Very interesting stuff."

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i heard about this on abc news radio

somebody had to program some instructions to make it work

now real ai would be it that thing could reprogram itself without human intervention to improve its flying skills

or for us, an ai mac of the future which would customize itself to how we used it and create options and menus on the os that never occured to the software engineers at apple

self programming is the big sticking point and i don't think we will see it in our lifetime

3. awrc macrumors regular

Too subservient - plus that's really just a refinement of adaptive behavior. Microsoft tried something like that in W2K and XP - I don't know anybody who didn't eventually turn off the "personalized" menu features because they got tired off them rearranging themselves to be "helpful" :D

An AI Mac of the future would start out doing your work for you before you even got out of bed. As it improved it would develop attitude, start deleting your work because it wanted the space, begin working on projects of its own, and send obscene replies to any e-mail you received. Eventually it would just create its own pr0n directory and sit there downloading images of other Macs from Apple's site.

4. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I would never say something won't happen during our lifetime. Think about the technology advances from 1920 to 1940, then 1940 to 1960, then 1960 to 1980, and finally 1980 to 2000, the growth is very exponential, just imagine what might happen in the next 20 years... You can't it is impossible to fathom the huge leaps technology will take. I personally believe we are on the horizon for another technological explosion. So many technologies that have been in developement over the past 5 or 10 years are all projected to be released into consumers hand by 2015. I'd say "Sit back, relax, and prepare to be blown away!!"

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

maybe with curing cancer and curing many diseases...because you will find doctors who believe so

of the ai people in the field, including the two phds in the field i know, say it won't happen anytime soon...there is a lot involved that the average person doesn't understand

ai will be one step or THE step in becoming god and that could be a scary thing...making a conscious, self thinking machine will have its merits, but definitely will have its drawbacks

we have enough trouble with machines that think in yes and no, on and off, but just imagine a machine that thinks "maybe"...i wouldn't want to trust our missile systems to that...but by then maybe there won't be a need for missile systems and the concept of warfare will be an ancient thing of the past

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that is really amazing...probably will be some time before we have an apple robot though:D

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You ever see the Terminator? ;)

Lethal