Speaking Spanish is a suspendable offense in high school

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by floriflee, Dec 9, 2005.

1. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

As an American, I am ashamed to say it.... We aren't as good as a lot of countries when it comes to enforcing the learning and speaking of multiple languages. For all the mental accuity that studies show people gain learning those languages as children we are just lazy when it comes to it. Perhaps its arrogance. Who knows?

Nevertheless, for as much as I disagree with turning our heads and looking the other way when it comes to illegal immigration (legal I have no problem with--and it's illegal so why don't we punish those breaking the law??), I am opposed to making us all speak only one language all the time. There is an article in the Washington Post today about a kid who was suspended from school for speaking Spanish in the hallway to another student. What's wrong with that, you say? Well, according to the official written school policy there's nothing wrong with it. Yet the student got suspended..... Nope, it doesnt' make sense to me either. In addition to the whole injustice of the situation, I was also particularly irritated by a comment in the article that stated that some places are looking into getting rid of foreign languages altogether in the schools. In an age where international communication is so essential to the health of a nation (including the health of the relations with its own people) way to ostricize ourselves even more from the world! I love the English language, but it's not the only language we should learn, speak and appreciate. Bah!

Oh, here's a link to the article: link

2. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I believe part of the western canon is practice of foreign language and literature.

I do not speak fluent spanish, but enough to get me by when we vacation in Costa Rica. I have become more culturally aware, and a well rounded individual due to this.

So, exclusion from foriegn language = no no.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Uspenday emthay orfay usingay Igpay Atinlay ootay!

Hope I got that right...

B

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Thankfully, there are more enlightened districts and schools as well that actively encourage speaking a second language and even teach bilingually. There have been a number of good studies showing that true bi-lingual eduation is a great way to learn for kids, even for those that only speak english currently.

That school deserves the civil rights lawsuit they are probably going to get (you can bet I wouldn't get send to the principals office if I was speaking Gaelic in the hallway of a school). The efforts to try and make America English only are fundamentally flawed. I honestly believe we are a better country when we have that kind of diversity instead of trying to make any newcomers or ethnic minorities conform to some supposed standard of "American culture". Teach them English, that's obviously necessary. But there's no need to do so at the expense of other native or ancestral languages.

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I hope you're in the U.S. Educational System. If not, people of your mindset should be. I have a feeling Ms. Watts is not only going to lose some of her faculties, but she's about to get a crash course in Spanish sayings. One which comes to mind, "En la boca cerrada, no entra mosca."

6. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Pues que lástima, aprender otros idiomas es algo muy chido ;) :D

7. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

I completely agree that they should have a civil rights lawsuit brought against them and I hope that teaches them a lesson. It's sad that we still harbor such ethnic and racial prejudices. As German immigrants between WWI and WWII, my grandmother's family was afraid to speak German outside their home, and were once accused of being German spies when someone heard them speaking it. They were subsequently turned into the FBI and they had several things, including a camera with some harmless vacation pictures, confiscated from them. As the wife of a man who is a first generation Indian American, I always find it fascinating to listen to his parents and grandparents and their friends speak Hindi and Punjabi. It even inspires me to want to better my Hindi skills because I feel like it will help me understand them and the culture all the more. Foreign language is not something to be afraid of.

8. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Ms. Watts may have a price on her head, not nice to cingar con La Raza puta! Another example of the ****ed up state of Kansas.

9. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

she should be fired. no more, no less.

anybody knows if it is been proven whether there is something wrong with kansas' water?

10. tristan macrumors 6502a

Wait a second... shouldn't they suspend the entire spanish class?