Special Features on dvd! EXCEPT MACS

Discussion in 'Community' started by chewbaccapits, Jul 29, 2002.

1. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Why is this? Why are macs left in the dark when it comes to really cool special features? Just about every "BlockBuster" movie that has DVD special feature; i.e., Shrek, Magnolia, Matrix, says, "Special Features will not work on macs. I mean, Macs heads USE dvds, right? It bugs me that we don't have the opportunity to view such items...I know that APPLE has a small market share out there...But, you would think that since Apple makes it available for you and me to link up to those movies' links (home page), we (MAC Owners) would have some kind of incentive? You would think that since Apple is so engrained within the entertainment industry, it would get a little more respect because, THIS little situation, is kinda crappy...What can one do?

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I just put the Matrix (first production run that had the 'won't work on a Mac' on the back of the case) into my rev. c TiBook and had NO problem accessing the special features. I am running OS X (10.1.5) if that helps any.

I'd say, if you are running OS X, you can ignore the package when it says that the features won't work on the Mac.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

are we talking about interactive games and ****e or just the special features like cut scenes and whatnot?

i think alpha might be mistaking what you mean... or else i am.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

There is an item in the menu of the dvd labeled "special features" which works no problem under OS X. I do remember The Matrix dvd having problems initially, until there were some updates from Apple which fixed the problems.

5. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i have watched many DVD's on my mac, and i have always been able to access things like cut scenes and the like. never, however have i been able to access the "Specal DVD-ROM fetures" like games and things

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Ahh yes, I remember that fiasco... after just having bought my G4 400 PCI with DVD player I was anxious to pop in Matrix, which I did, and... nothing. After hunting around online I found us Mac users had to hold down "i" on the keyboard or something weird like that when inserting the DVD so it would read it as an ISO disc?, and from there everything worked just fine.

7. job macrumors 68040

job

I think it is the DVD-ROM features that we Mac users cannot fully use.

We can access the Special Features just fine, as if we were watching them on our TVs, but it's the PC specific features, i.e. Games, Internet junk that we cannot use.

8. chewbaccapits thread starter macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

"I found us Mac users had to hold down "i" on the keyboard or something weird like that when inserting the DVD so it would read it as an ISO disc?"

Really!Thanks hemingray...But thats still crazy that we're relegated to weird keyboard commands to see these special features....I feel kinda short changed when I can't FULLY see what my hard earn 20 buck paid for...Weak...

And for those who don't understand from my original post...I meant to say interactive games and such. Features like additional scenes and director commentary all work...Can we complain? Who would I write to?.....

9. bidge macrumors 6502

With Shrek the only thing that I am not able to do on my Mac is use this "special - one of a kind" thing where you can put your own voice over the top of the characters.

If they had made the software only for mac it would have been so much easier no more technical support questions apart from "Where can I download Mac from?".

Yes the tiny little hole in your computer is for a microphone, it is not a flaw.

Anyway I have never had any problems apart the software. I can play all of my DVD's in a Mac's DVD Drive without any problems under both Mac OS 9.2.2 and 10.1.5.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Well, there is a limited amount of space on a DVD and if you were gonna make a game (or something) would you make it work for 95% of the people or only 5% of the people?

All of the games and "interactive" stuff is crap novelty<sp?> anyway so I don't see what yer so upset about...

Lethal

11. iGav macrumors G3

Alot of the DVD-ROM content is produced using Director so cross platform compatibility really isn't an issue....... it's because they're bone idle and lazy as f**k to spend a few minutes making it work on a Mac more than anything...... lack of space on a DVD or logistical concerns about making it work on a Mac is just a
    w*nk excuse...........

Anyway not all DVD-ROM content sucks....... 'Underworlds Everything Everything' is a prime example........

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Call me crazy (wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last time) but I get dvd's for the MOVIE, not some stupid game that peecee's can run. IF I want to play the lame games, I will just put the dvd into the game system (pc) and use it there.

I do prefer to watch the movies on the dvd player attached to my nice 27" Wega (with the surround sound system). Right tools for the job Bubba... or is that chewy??? :p

13. chewbaccapits thread starter macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Ahem, Bubba? that's mr. chew to you....

Hey guys, sorry if I come across as novelty ,crap loving bitch, but I enjoy getting mileage out of my DVD....I mean, thats the point ,right? You've never experienced a movie that you've enjoyed so much that you'd love to get "every" aspect of it? Even, if its kinda dorky or chessy, at that? I'm sure if STAR WARS or Raiders of the Lost Ark DVD came out with some great "novelty game" or "feature" on its Criterion, "3" disk Collection DVD, you'd love to experience it, right? If the aforemention movies aren't to keen with you then, replace then with your ideal movie...Just feels sucky that we're not regarded important enough for it...

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Ahem, Bubba? that's mr. chew to you....

Actually, I wouldn't give a rat's flaming rectal cavity about some cheap assed game that came on a movie dvd. If I want to play a game, I will get the game that is sold/packaged as such.

Do you also piss and moan about shochwave games that you cannot run on the Mac (on the shockwave site under games)??

Complain to the people that put the movies on dvd, or to the game makers (for the shockwave games). IF enough people make their voices heard, something will happen. Complaining here won't do you any good. :rolleyes: :p :D :cool:

15. coolocity macrumors regular

DVDs on Macs

A little explination...

Special features, such as deleted scenes, alternate endings, etc, will work fine on Macs and PCs. Some things requiring a DVD-Ram will not work on a mac simply because they are designed for PCs. I'm sure in the future this will change so that most, if not all, will work fine on both.. yeah.

- John

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: DVDs on Macs

Name me one dvd movie that REQUIRES a DVD-RAM drive... DVD-RAM uses media that is treated just as a zip disk or hard drive is.

DVD-RAM drives treat DVD movies as a dvd-rom (the same as dvd-rom and the combo drives treat them), which is platform independent. The games run on pc's because that is the way they are coded, which has nothing to do with the media or drive but the OS. :rolleyes:

17. King Cobra macrumors 603

DVD-RAM was featured on the dual 500MHz PowerMacs, but could only burn DATA, not movies, as our current Superdrives can. Both can play DVD movies fine, as is why it's called a DVD drive. :rolleyes: :p

On the Terminator 2 DVD there is a way to access special Easter Eggs, but my brother failed trying on a Mac. He said is was probably easier/more likely to do it straight from the DVD player remote for a standard player.

18. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

im actually with alpha on this one, DVD's are for watching.
    GAMES are for playing.
    if you want to be consumer, go buy a pc. macs are for appreciating the wonders of the OS, (besides being just all arround better).;):D

19. chewbaccapits thread starter macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Hey alphatech...

I would appreciate if you would stop commenting in this thread...
    For everyone else, I thought I could use this FORUM as a place where ideas can be thrown around to exercise a resolution to APPLE related "things", no matter how silly one thinks it is. Jeez, what I thought was a problem obviously isn't, I was mistaken...I appreciate the members who were helpful...thx guys...

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Hey alphatech...

How should I respond to this... hmmmmm.... how about bite me. :p :D

BTW, this site is hosted in the US, where freedom of speach reigns supreme. If you don't like the factual information that I posted, either don't read it, or make use of the little 'Ignore' list... :rolleyes: Hell, even Chitman knows about that function. :p :D :cool: Also, don't think just because YOU don't want to see the information I put up, that you speak for anyone else. :p twit :eek: :p :D

21. chewbaccapits thread starter macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

I agree with your statement...

In fact, thats how I felt when you told me that complaining here wouldn't do any good. Your basically telling me the same as I told you, "don't write here"...Since my first post I've been asking for a name or a "place" to correspond to, so that I can, in whatever way, let peeps out there know that this is unfair....Now, you question if I piss and moaning for internet shockgames ? No. But if someone came here to macrumors and posted about.I won't ridicule him/her for feeling that way....

BTW, *TWIT*, I haven't heard that since
    9th grade....Are we going to resort to name-calling now?:rolleyes: