Special Interests Rule, OK?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Oct 11, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=businessNews&storyID=6469796&pageNumber=1

Anyone care to explain exactly what hold ceiling fan importers have over this Administration?

2. toontra macrumors 6502

3. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

They're also a good way of putting a spin on things :p

4. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

If he gets in again, they'll probably be the only fans he has left after another four years.

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Ceiling fans and the second amendment.

Come now.... Anyone who's seen Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" (and in particular the pre-feature "Crimson Permanent Assurance") knows that ceiling fans are essential to effective homeland defense. ;)

6. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

amen

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Why the upset at this particular bill? Efforts to get foreign-held profits repatriated have been going on for forty forevers; reducing the tax rates on these is about the only way. Corporations aren't run by stupid people. I disremember when it was, but we had a thread on this some months back...

As for the other corporate tax breaks, no telling who done what to whom to get various riders attached; that's a common bi-partisan effort having nothing to do with who's El Prez.

:), 'Rat

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Would you still feel that way if you were like me, and your job was shipped overseas? I don't think giving tax breaks to companies that outsource is a good idea, and that's pretty much what is being proposed, despite the supporters who say otherwise.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

solvs, no disrespect intended, but how could your job have not been outsourced and yet maintain low prices for that product or service to consumers in this country?

Example: Back in the 1950s/1960s, Italian shoes of equal quality were being brought into the U.S. This impacted the shoe industry in New England. Tariffs were imposed. It was calculated that for every $28,000/year job saved, the consumers of the U.S. spent an extra $35,000/yr.

At any rate, the relatively small amount of money to be repatriated under this new tax rate is seen by the currency market speculators to be insignificant. There was a three-day rise in the dollar against the Euro, but it's now back to $1.23 per Euro, down from $1.21.

The intent of the bill, gaining repatriation, was that this money would be invested here--thus (hopefully) providing new jobs.

10. wwworry macrumors regular

reducing the tax rates on these is about the only way.???
    because corporations run the government, is what you are saying

I'd also like to remind you that the house and senate are currently controlled by the GOP and they have to take responsibility for this bill. You might like to pretend that whatever evil the republicans practice is fine because there are democrats who practice the same but I won't.

11. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Both sides are guilty going back a very long way. Without a grassroots effort to undermine this mechanism robber-baronist politics will be how this country runs. Period.

12. wwworry macrumors regular

when the dems control the congress I will protest their give-aways as much as I resent the republicans give-aways now. Aren't 96% of the incumbants re-elected each election?

The one thing I dislike more in a politician than republican tendencies is corruption. This bill is a massive sell-out.

13. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Yup. That's the beauty of gerrymandering.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Watching the debates right now, Kerry is admitting you can't end outsourcing (which you can't), but it's important to protect jobs here and end tax cuts for those who outsource. Money is not coming back, and jobs are increasingly going out. What's the point of having lower prices if no one can afford even that? Bush says I need to get a better education (I have a pretty good education, thank you). He's also taking away grants so if I wanted to, it would be harder, not to mention my unemployment would end. He says he hasn't been lowered, but check the facts, it has.

I don't need a better education, I don't need a couple of hundred bucks in a tax rebate. I need a job that won't go away in a couple of months. Kerry has a plan. With Bush, it's more of the same.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

wwworry: " reducing the tax rates on these is about the only way.???
    because corporations run the government, is what you are saying"

If the money stays overseas, it doesn't get taxed at all. If it's repatriated, it gets taxed. Do you object to the money being taxed? I don't think so...So, since in the mind of Gummint, some tax take for Gummint is better than no tax take for Gummint, the Congress in its infinite wisdom tossed out a carrot.

So: You want SOME tax, or NO tax?

solvs, relying on grants is saying that you want others to pay your bills. Don't get me wrong; I've been between jobs and broke or near-broke, but I was never eligible for unemployment or any grants. I pretty much re-started from scratch when I moved here to the desert in 1983. Heck, Mr. Banker owned a greater percentage of my land, house, backhoe and dumptruck than I did! But, after a dozen years of busting my horns, it's all mine. (Speaking of which, I need to go air up some tires and check on precious vital fluids.)

I dunno. I note that those who can figure out a product or service that people need can do real well, no matter if it's dealing dope or repairing lawnmowers...Generally, salaried folks mostly need to carry a tube of KY around with them...:)

Anyhow, best luck to ya. 'Bout all I can say is don't rely on Kerry's "plan"; make your own. You'll do a helluva lot better.

'Rat