"Special" usecase? Will the MBA handle this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mike8833, Jun 25, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey, i've been out here on the forums trying to find someone who might have at least almost the same use case like me.

Since there's a lot of photographers, writers, designers and so on, i feel a little left aside and stuck with 0 info.

I have an iMac 27" 12GB Ram 3.1GHz Quad i5 from 2011 and it performs quite well for my needs. (8300 points GeekBench 32 bit)
    (might use this one as a monitor in the future)

i'd like to have a tiny thing that will serves me well, while laying / walking around mostly (avoiding back pain after a long work day 0o). I have an Ipad and its nice but when you really like to create/work its quite limited.

to cut a long story short:
    I'd like to know if either of the 11"/13" > both maxed out will handle this:

IWork (often)
    Creating PDF's (Adobe Reader, Abbyy Finereader OCR!, Scannersoftware) (Often)
    maintaining huge iTunes Library (200gb) (very often, music only)
    - Itunes
    - SongGenie
    - CoverScout
    Scanning Images, resizing them, editing (no professional use) (often)
    - Scannersoftware
    - Preview
    Renaming a bunch of files at the same time (seldom)
    - Core Renamer
    Iphoto (often)
    Ebay selling software (seldom)
    Genealogy software
    Mail
    Copying my original Blu Rays to my Nas (and keep them elsewhere, so they're safe)
    - Therefore Parallels with Windows 7/8 (often, because of accurate CD copies for iTunes)
    Plex (a lot XD)
    Mindmapping Software (a lot)
    Safari (24/7 XD)
    Banking Software
    Download software
    Toast 11 !!
    Time Machine of course
    VLC
    and other apps and little helpers, that i think might fly anyway on these machines :D

Most of those Apps will be used side by side and running simultaneously.
    for example: (Safari, Itunes, Win7/8, Preview, Mail)

I need them maxed out firstly because i don't want to bite myself afterwards if i buy the lower processor (did that with the iMac)
    And secondly i neeeeeed 512 at least for proggies, PDF's, Photos, Apps a.s.o
    because this should my all my life on 1 machine, like my imac is now.

PS: should i wait for SSD prices to come down????

I would gladly appreciate your opinions and insights if you might have already tested some of this before mentioned Software :D

Thanks in advance
    Mike

:)

2. macrumors 6502a

"Special" usecase? Will the MBA handle this?

All of the things you mentioned require pretty trivial specs to accomplish. You won't have any problem with the Air.

3. macrumors newbie

:eek: :D

Thank you :D. I mostly fear, win8 (prallels) and copying a blu ray over...may take some time... (no encoding whatsoever; new container like mkv okay but no trans/encoding)