Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vice92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Hello,

Currently I have my external enclosure hooked into my mbp, which I stream through plex media serve to my LG tv through one of their Media Link app. However, the application on my TV does not allow for pre-buffering - that is, it will not buffer my hd movies to be played in the future, it will only buffer in real time while I'm watching them, causing the movie to pause about every minute to buffer a little more.

I'm trying to remedy this with the Apple TV - does the Apple TV pre-buffer? I.e if I leave the movie paused it will buffer at least some of it?

Thanks

Vice92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Ok, thats great news, thank you for the info. Also, is that a revolving buffer? As in, as I watch the movie, will what I previously watched (i.e buffered) get lost from the 8gb limit so more of the unwatched film portion can be buffered?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ok, thats great news, thank you for the info. Also, is that a revolving buffer? As in, as I watch the movie, will what I previously watched (i.e buffered) get lost from the 8gb limit so more of the unwatched film portion can be buffered?

the Buffer on the ATV works pretty much as ram, it will still buffer live while you are watching it, as soon as you stop watching or watch something else, it will make that storage available and it will be overwritten.

Vice92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Excellent, thanks for clearing that up. I really wish my TV worked that way to save me the extra $100 expense but...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.