Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Speck today announced the official launch of its Pocket-VR accessory, a collapsible, portable virtual reality headset designed to be compatible with its line of Candyshell Grip cases. The Pocket-VR was created using Google's Cardboard VR specs, so it is able to display content created for Cardboard.

pocketvr1.jpg

The Pocket-VR, made of black plastic, comes with a black and gray CandyShell Grip smartphone case, which it snaps over to create a virtual reality viewing experience on the go. When not in use, the Pocket-VR's retractable side panels fold flat, allowing the accessory to be carried easily in a pocket. Speck is offering the Pocket-VR for the iPhone 6 and 6s only, which is not compatible with larger iPhone 6 and 6s Plus models.

pocketvr2.jpg

Speck's CandyShell Grip case can be used even when the Pocket-VR is stowed away, offering full military-grade drop protection for an iPhone. It includes a raised bezel to protect the screen and it has raised rubber ridges for a solid grip.

The Pocket-VR can be purchased from the Speck website for $69.95.

Article Link: Speck Launches Pocket-VR With Candyshell Case for iPhone 6 and 6s

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
We're getting closer each day to Back to the Future predictions. Amazing movie.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Still not so much as a strap or anything to actually hold this to your head...

That seems like such a simple thing that makes the $900 HTC Vive worlds better...

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
One day. One day. But not today

I was watching a clip of mostly older tech journalists at a tech expo sitting around with these ridiculous contraptions on their heads. It looked like an old black and white film reel from a 1920's World Of Tomorrow expo. You know the ones, where something is so preposterous you think how could anyone believe it would be a real thing,

Last edited:
Reactions: FriendlyMackle

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Shame the phones have such low pixel densities. VR looks awful on my 6s.
Actually this is the fault of Apple. Sammy has done it right. Gear + Galaxy has enough density for VR to look great. Important for VR since the eyes are so close to the display.
[doublepost=1463522704][/doublepost]
One day. One day. But not today
Wrong. It's already here.

Last edited:

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Actually this is the fault of Apple. Sammy has done it right. Note has enough density for VR to look great. 1080p is low quality for VR since the eyes are so close to the display.
[doublepost=1463522704][/doublepost]Wrong. It's already here.
Yes. Like Google Glass was here.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Pretty slick! I give VR demos (for work AND play) fairly often, and something like this would work great tossed in a bag for times when my larger Cardboard-compatible unit (much less my Oculus and Mac) is not with me.

The Best VR Headset is the One You Have With You.

Weird. Looks awesome on my 6+. Not that different. Your standards for cheap VR may vary, which is fine—but I don't see the "screen door" unless I look for it—and more pixels would tax the CPU harder. True pocket VR is here and it's awesome, but it's going to be a trade-off in some ways. Darned physics.

People were blown away by the first Oculus Rift which was WAY lower res than an iPhone. And now you have it in your pocket, running iOS! Not bad.

The biggest difference isn't the hardware, it's the software: one app can be terrific on a given device, another can be a laggy mess. I recommend Google Street View, YouTube, and Proton Pulse as fun iPhone VR apps.

Still not so much as a strap or anything to actually hold this to your head...

That seems like such a simple thing that makes the $900 HTC Vive worlds better...

I'm very interested in the Vive, but...

a) You are tangled and tethered to a roomful of other gear.

b) $900.

Apples and oranges. Mobile VR isn't just absurdly cheap, it's actually better in specific ways.

(As for Samsung's Cardboard-alike, it's cool and I support the endeavor. But not for the price and being limited to a single phone--lacking Metal performance--that you won't keep forever. You can get a strapped Cardboard headset for way cheaper.)

Am I the only one that has no real care for VR, whether it be for gaming or anything else.

Excellent question. It seems unlikely that you'd be the only one. There are SO many people in the world.

But we'll probably never know, because nobody would actually spend their time posting "I don't care about this story." They wouldn't even get past the headline, surely.

Last edited:
Reactions: err404

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Am I the only one that has no real care for VR, whether it be for gaming or anything else.
It does not matter if you don't care. Many people do care.
VR has been promised for decades, and we are finally at the point where it can work. We have cheap devices for quick fix video content and simple games, and we have big feature rich implementations like the Vive. But most importantly we have a lot of content being created.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012

You get used to the screen door effect after a while. But you really notice the dirt or scratches on your screen.

My $19.95 Mattel vr headset from walmart is a good low cost solution for those wanting to try it.

YouTube app was supposed to have vr capabilites now but I can't figure out how to activate it or scan my qr code.

Reactions: nagromme

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
You get used to the screen door effect after a while. But you really notice the dirt or scratches on your screen.

My $19.95 Mattel vr headset from walmart is a good low cost solution for those wanting to try it.

YouTube app was supposed to have vr capabilites now but I can't figure out how to activate it or scan my qr code.

That's a nice model! At first the View-Master brand drove me away, but I'm glad I got it.

YouTube has a "3 dots" menu on every video, and there you will find the Cardboard icon. (Some videos are made for VR and show a Cardboard icon outside that menu, but any old video will play on a big virtual flat screen.)

Once in VR split-view mode, tap the little gear icon to change your headset mode from the default—then it will scan the code.

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
This is a good idea. Google should've thought about it.

I'm sorry but this is crap and could turn off potential buyers. The iPhone does not have the screen resolution and developers don't even have direct access to the hardware to push the CPU's. A phone that is not optimized without any ecosystem for VR is doomed. The bare minimum I would consider is Gear VR which is backed by Oculus. Next would be the big boys such as Oculus or Rift.

Level 1 = Oculus/Rift
Level 2 = Gear VR
Level 5 = Google Cardboard

Google should be announcing something tomorrow at Google I/O but even they said that their offering is on par with Gear VR. It won't even touch the true players. Everybody is trying to get in on the VR cash cow. Seeing how HTC and Oculus are still sold out with units on eBay fetching almost double I can see why.

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
Speck: the size of one's brain for paying $70 for what is essentially a $10 Google Cardboard viewer.

You are absolutely correct. Any of these companies can build the most extravagant headset imaginable but if Apple is not doing anything special to the hardware and developing an ecosystem for the platform you are better off with a Google Cardboard viewer.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
This is what I have always wanted, a collapsible, compact, VR headset to carry in my pocket and put it on in the grocery store and walk around with it on my head.

Joking aside. Seems innovative though.

The grocery store, or Walmart. Anything to hide me from the reality that is around me. Shop for the prices, not the people :p

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm sorry but this is crap and could turn off potential buyers. The iPhone does not have the screen resolution and developers don't even have direct access to the hardware to push the CPU's. A phone that is not optimized without any ecosystem for VR is doomed. The bare minimum I would consider is Gear VR which is backed by Oculus. Next would be the big boys such as Oculus or Rift.

Level 1 = Oculus/Rift
Level 2 = Gear VR
Level 5 = Google Cardboard

Google should be announcing something tomorrow at Google I/O but even they said that their offering is on par with Gear VR. It won't even touch the true players. Everybody is trying to get in on the VR cash cow. Seeing how HTC and Oculus are still sold out with units on eBay fetching almost double I can see why.

Too simplistic a view. VR doesn't have to be one single market. Your preference is valid, but there's room for cheap, mobile VR. It's already impressive, fun, and useful even in its infancy, and Google gets full credit from me for launching that end of the market.

I agree, a bigger ecosystem would always be fantastic, and I hope it continues to grow in that direction on all platforms. Anything that gets more people excited about VR helps all of us. No need to set up warring camps yet :)

But a phone isn't "doomed" if it has fewer music creation apps than another, or fewer pro art apps (if that were true, Android would be doomed). And it isn't "doomed" by its selection of VR apps either.

Nor is it doomed for VR: you pay $15 and you get portability and a limited but growing selection of apps.

Samsung has a branding deal with Oculus, but that won't make Gear remain useful when you change your phone next year.

And iPhone DOES offer direct hardware access (Metal API) unlike Samsung.

What could and does turn people off is bad, slow apps. Like the Zombie game that runs great on Android but is a rerribly laggy port on iOS. That's bad software—not the iPhone's lack of graphics power. (Quite the reverse.)

And don't make the mistake of putting specs ahead of experience. Samsung's supposed high-res displays have always cheated using Pentile and related matrices instead of full pixels, leaving a visible grid much larger than the supposed "pixels," while still burning GPU power processing them the same as actual RGB pixels (worst of both worlds):
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...reveals-Diamond-Pixels-display-matrix_id68987

So you can see a "screen door" on any device if you look for it. Do you have to? Most of use used laptops with visible pixels our whole lives. We'd rather not, but nor do we pay attention to them all the time.

I assume you've used VR on iPhone and never seen it work well. Bad luck: it can work great. There are plenty of bad apps out there, too, including some that claim to be Cardboard compatible but aren't! I'm sure bad ones exist for Android too. Sadly, we must wade through them for now until reviews and ratings become more ubiquitous.

Samsung having a fixed known list of titles because only one device is supported IS a strength. It's just not that much of a strength for the price and obsolescence... not to mention, of course, that many of us prefer iOS, and wouldn't dream of suffering the problems of Android for the sake of how we use VR from time to time. It's certainly a nice extra when they give it away free, though!

Here's my ranking:

1. The winner(s) that emerge among HTC Vive, Oculus, Sony VR, and future contenders. We can't know the winner(s) yet, but they will be a MUCH better buy than #2.

2. "The rest" of the big boys, which cost so much for early adopters and then fade away.

3. Cardboard and Gear VR and maybe something new from Google soon.

But for price and portability--which IS a kind of power--put #3 on top!

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
This seems like a terrible design due to the open top and bottom which would let ambient light in. One of the amazing things about VR is how immersive it is and you really need a light tight enclosure on all sides of the phone for that to work. Even Google Cardboard does that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.