Speck See Thru Question (for C2D MBP)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by w8ing4intelmacs, Jan 18, 2007.

1. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

The Speck website states that the See Thru case for the 15" MBP is compatible with BOTH the CD and C2D MBPs. How is that possible? Do they ship both bottoms? Does anyone have first hand knowledge (i.e., actually bought the C2D version)? I'd appreciate it.

BTW, I tried emailing Speck customer support but I still haven't heard from them (it has been about a week).

2. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

The CD and C2D are the exact same physical dimentions. Unless the case somehow interfaces with the processor it will fit both :p

(Apparently my sarcasm was lost through the great void that is the internet so I added smilies to help)

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

As the only real difference is the addition of a FW800 port, I'm pretty sure they just ship that bottom standard now, so those with Core Duo's just have a little hole on the side that doesn't lead to a port.

4. w8ing4intelmacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

felldownthewell, i'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but obviously you don't know what you're talking about. you should ask yourself why you would talk so definitively about something you don't own, use, or have even seen.

livingfortoday, the addition of the FW800 port throws off some of the holes. i would like to know definitively how. the FW800, FW400, and USB ports (as well as the lock hole) are all different dimensions and the holes are cut out to fit the ports almost exactly. at least you said "pretty sure" although you also don't own, use, or have even seen it. thank you though for your opinion and speculation.

conveniently, the speck website doesn't even have full pictures of the right side of the case. can someone who actually has the case please comment? thanks!

5. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

6. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

smueboy, that's a picture of a Core Duo: lock slot, USB, FW400, ethernet, and external monitor.

The new Speck cases fit both CD and C2D because they eliminated the individual port protection. The CD case had little dividers between each port. Speck just cut them all out to accomodate for the new port. I've seen them at the Apple Store but I'm still trying to find a good picture of it on the net. I'll post one when I find it.

Attached Files:

7. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Fair 'nuff - in the blurry pic the lock slot looked like a usb, and i don't remember seeing such big vents on the back of a CD MBP.

The Speck case sounds like a cool idea, but just opening up the whole side to include the extra port sounds very cheap to me.

As reviewed by one person:
    "I just ordered this product with expedited shipping. Three days later I finally recieved a tracking number for the product through USPS. I HATE dealing with USPS. Anytime I ever ship/recieve a shipment through them, the box/bag is always butchered and they never provide any information as to where my package is. Upon getting the product, THERE WAS NO PACKAGE PROTECTION AT ALL. This clear plastic case was shipped in a thin paper envelope. It has hairline scratches in numerous spots and a fairly rugged scratch around the corner from the CDR-DVDR slot. Also, the image shown for this product is not the same one as this. I guess for the Core 2 Duo case, they completely disreguarded putting any plastic around the peripheral slots on the right side of the laptop. In the picture it shows plastic all around the monitor slot, firewire slot, usb etc. There is nothing there, its just a big cut-out, and I find that cheap and that they didn't want to spend time to create that side. They did it for the opposite side, why not this one????? The case does look pretty neat on the computer and gives it a nice shine. However if you have a dog in the house, this will be a nightmare because it attracts hair and dust in ways unknown to man. If I had to choose whether or not to buy this again, I probably still would because the MacBook Pro does scratch easily and cheesy protection is better than no protection in my book."
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KWYP4U/ref=dp_cp_ob_title_3/102-4795696-5052112

8. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Yes it does seem a bit harsh, seeing as you came here asking for help and I gave you an answer. I neglected the difference in ports on the CD and C2D but I still believe that they are of the same dimensions otherwise (length, width, and thickness), however I only own the CD so I appologize if I am wrong.

Hopefully somebody else will be able to help you better and hopefully you will either learn to be more courtieous to the people trying to help you or at least learn to ignore posts you don't like.

9. w8ing4intelmacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

interlaced, thanks! that was very helpful.

btw, i did find some pictures:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kms007

felldownthewell, okay. i'm sorry for sounding harsh :)
    and i also accept your apology for answering a question that you didn't fully understand :p