Specs for C&C Generals....

Discussion in 'Games' started by Falleron, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Ok, the specification seems to be a very high for the Mac. Originally, I read that Mac C&C Generals was going to need a 733Mhz G4. Now they are as follows:

Mac OS X 10.2.6 or later
    PowerPC G4/G5, 1GHz or faster
    256MB RAM
    1.6GB free disk space
    3D Graphics Acceleration required (ATI Radeon 7500/nVidia GeForce 2 or better, 32MB of VRAM)
    DVD drive required to install and play
    Network play Mac to Mac only, GameRanger supported

Also, compare this to the PC:

Minimum System Requirements For The Command & Conquer Genreals Demo:
    • Windows® 98, Windows 98SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000, or Windows XP (Windows NT and Windows 95 not supported)
    • 800 MHz Intel® Pentium® III or AMD® Athlon™ processor
    • 128 MB RAM
    • 8x CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive
    • 1.8 GB free hard disk space plus space for saved games (additional space required for Windows swap-file and DirectX™ 8.1 installation)
    • 32 MB video card using the Nvidia® GeForce2™, ATI® Radeon™ 7500 AGP video card, or more recent chipset with DirectX 8.1 compatible driver
    • DirectX 8.1 compatible 16-bit sound card
    • Keyboard; Mouse

The G4 is supposed to be quicker than a similar clocked PC processor. Still, the mac needs an extra 200Mhz, twice the RAM to run it!! I guess the game must be slowed down from poor coding.

Dont get me wrong, I still will buy the game.

2. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

:( That pulls my machine out of the equation now, I was really looking forward to it. Obviously it'll still be playable, but how playable?

Hopefully when the G5 becomes standardized across the line there won't be such a need to upgrade every year. I remember when one of my first macs, at 33MHz, slaughtered PC's bought a year later at Doom.

AppleMatt

edit: Also, hopefully future point updates will bring similar graphic boosts that the 10.3.3 update did, and future major releases continue on the performance improvement path.

3. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

That seems rediculously high for a strategy game.

4. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

It must be all the 3D rendering I guess. The screenshots do look good.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The extra 200mhz is because of OpenGL vs DirectX.

6. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Hope the game does well. Hope the specs dont stop too many people buying the game. I think the game needs to sell well to help persuade future releases come to the Mac.

Also, would be much better if you could play against PC players.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

wont stop me playing it on my 450Mhz g4 cube (halo, spearhead, rainbow 6 3 ive played them all at 25-30fps)

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

If it makes for any consolation the Macintosh version takes up 200mb less of HD space :p

9. AkiraK macrumors member

1) The RAM difference is largely because of the OS. Try running C&C Generals on a PC with Windows XP and only 128 mb of RAM and see if it's playable.
    2) A 32 MB video card is a laughable suggestion. Heated battles slow the game to a crawl on anything less than a higher end 128 MB card.
    3) As to the processor specific issues, I'd be curious to see how the game would run on a PIII@800MHz. Regardless, the minimum specs given on the PC side seem extremely low, and should not be taken as indicative of providing a quality gaming experience. My experience with the game would indicate that the Mac requirements are, at the very least, more honest.

10. michaelwarren89 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't play C&C generals on anything less than a 1.25Gz. For a few months I've had it running on my 2400XP (2Ghz) Athlon, 512 RAM, 128MB Radeon 9000, and while it's fairly adequate it doesn't take a whole lot for it to struggle, and it certainly takes a long time to load a game. Sucks to be me with my 700Mhz imac

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

How?

I've tried playing a few games like that and they just crash or exit when I try loading them?

What?

I thought it was 733 also!

Damnit!

Now I have NO chance of running it!

ARG.

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

with 1.5 gigs of ram a radeon 9000 and a 7200rpm HD thats how

the games should work albeit slowly try reinstalling stuff until it works

13. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Apparently C&C Generals is hitting stores on the 16th April :)

AppleMatt