Spec's of My Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Tuned MP5T, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

Before I push the order button, I would like to know what you think of it. Keep my mind that this is my first Mac and it will be used for internet, iTunes, and MS Office.

512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
    80GB Ultra ATA drive
    Combo Drive
    Wired Keyboard & Mouse Set - U.S. English
    56K v.92 Modem
    Mac OS X - U.S. English
    1.25GHz PowerPC G4

Total Price: $682.00

2. auxplage macrumors 6502

Why don't you just get the $599 version for $50 (or so) more? IMHO that is the smartest thing unless you are good with computers and plan on overclocking the 1.25 ghz anyway.

3. 3-22 macrumors regular

That should do you fine... To save a little money might want to drop the keyboard and mouse. Apple keyboard's are nice (so that's up to you), but I replaced my single button mouse with a 2 button scroll wheel almost immediately. I'd think about the one button mouse first before you buy it...

You might want to upgrade to 1GB eventually but i wouldn't pay the outrageous Apple prices now. You can do it yourself if your computer savvy or Apple's prices may come down eventually.

EDIT: Acutally on second thought this is what I'd get...

• 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
    • 80GB Ultra ATA drive
    • Combo Drive
    • 56K v.92 Modem
    • Mac OS X - U.S. English
    • 1.42GHz PowerPC G4
    $674

And just use an existing (or buy a) USB keyboard and mouse. An apple keyboard would be +$29

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Office Depot advertised the MS USB wireless keyboard and mouse for just $29 after rebates I think for this week.

Good specs, but I would suggest doing the AE/BT combo to be on the safe side if you ever wanted to go wireless.

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

This is EXACTLY what I got. Though I also ordered through the local JC's Apple WebStore and ordered Applecare. DO get the Applecare: 1st generation products often get twitchy.

Total student cost w/Applecare and no freight upgrade: $844.nn.

Costco has nice 19" LCD's w/Viewsonic guts and DVI (Princeton brand): $440.nn

Logitech Marble Mouse (pre-existing) $20.00 @ Staples.

Adesso ergonomic keyboard (Christmas gift a year ago) $80.00

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Anyone see what the 80gb HDD manufacturers part number is yet? I have seen reports about the 40gb HDD. Thanks.

7. macten macrumors newbie

Toshiba MK8025GAS

The Toshiba 80GB drive in my mini is MK8025GAS. According to the specs on Toshiba's site, it is 4200RPM.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks, but a bummer to hear. I was hoping for a 5200rpm, like the current 40gb HDDs. I have a 4200rpm in my PB, and a 7200rpm in my eMac; and there is a difference in performance. Will have to see what time brings. I might wait till Tiger is released, so I can see if I want to buy the upgrades for any of my other systems.