[specs] what would the iMac's of 2007 be like?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2Shae, Oct 6, 2006.

1. 2Shae macrumors 6502

I really want to buy a 20" iMac now but I would kill myself if there would be an update somewhere between Macworld '07 and Leopard (which I think there wil be).

I'm not a power user but I do want a good machine and yes I know that the current iMac are good but I have a feeling that there's going to be an update somewhere around Macworld.
    I can wait a few months but what will I be waiting for?

what would the iMac's of 2007 be like?

I'm thinking about a new graphic card since X1600 is getting pretty old and maybe a new or higher processor.

What do you think will be the new specs?
    And should I wait or not?

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

if you want a logical upgrade well the imac pci-e has went form a Radion X600 to a X1600 so i guess the next stage is a X1650 or X2600 with 512 RAM min. The base ram sould go upto 1-2 GB with upgrade to 4+ GB a option, some sort of next gen media drive and natrually a slightly better screen. The removal of the combo drive(apple really no one else sells a combo drive over a often cheeper DVD RW drive) for a standard DVD RW. Ether conroe or the next mobile chipset. ether way expect ether a 800 MHz bus or a 1000+ MHz bus.

3. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

And do you also think it will be there somewhere @ the beginnen of 2007
    or is it just me

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I think you're forgetting your Apple history, here.

I'd expect a possible video card upgrade, staying at 128 with the option of 256. Base RAM will stay the same. I like the idea of DVD-RW across the board, and it's logical but not certain. Screen will stay the same.

5. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Well, I looked at the time gaps on the Macrumors buyers guide, and it seems that we'd be due for an upgrade next Summer actually. Hopefully the release of Leopard will push Apple to bring out an upgrade a bit earlier though.

I'm also looking into buying a 24" iMac when the next upgrades come (although the new machines are quite special, I don't exactly need one immediately as I have a Macbook and a 24" Dell monitor already).

6. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

No that takes to long for me:eek:

EDIT:
    I checked the buyers guide and it says: Last updated 30 days ago (Average = 189 days)
    Well I was thinking...let's say 30 days a month -> 180 / 30 = 6 months -> 1.sept, 2.oct, 3.nov, 4.dec, 5.jan, 6.februari .
    Doesn't that fit perfectly with what I said. Somewhere between Macworld '07 (januari) and Leopard (spring)

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Meh. I don't know math. :(

8. wchong macrumors 6502

well if it's sometimes january/february i believe it's worth waiting.
    a computer is an investment for a couple of years and you want to buy sometime that is going to last you for those years. 3-4 months is worth the wait if you ask me. i'm waiting as well!!!

9. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I would love to buy a iMac late 2007 for developing purposes in college... :D

A good graphics card would make it all the sweeter.

10. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Wow I am in the same boat as you, was going to buy the 24, but might be too big, so i am holding off too......... maybe a colored imac?????

11. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Uh, this might shock you but the iMacs already come in colour; white.:p

You can get iMacs coloured through ColorWare.

12. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

Just like me:cool:
    was going to buy a 24" so I could also use it as a tv but I think that for pc(mac) use it's too big...will really mess up your eyes I think

13. Sam* macrumors regular

Sam*

Thats nothing to go by really as it has the upgrade from ppc to intel which was like 2 months apart so that brought the days down,

also the last update for it took 9 months so i wouldnt be surprised to see the same again,

i'd say at least another 6-7 months from now,

Maybe when leapord is released

14. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

There are no speed improvements for Merom in the roadmap (unless I've missed something) and it's sucessor chip will not be out until Q4 2007, over a year away. The Santa Rosa platform will be released in April 2007, and I wouldn't expect any changes to the iMac before then.

15. generik macrumors 601

generik

The main draw about Santa Rosa (to me) would be the new x3000 integrated graphics chipset... that'd bring about amazing value bottom range Mac Minis/iMacs.

Maybe the Robson thingy too, but Macs sleep and wake up fast anyway... so it is like... not exactly that much of a difference.

The 133Mhz FSB increase will probably only translate to less than 5% of raw performance increase in itself, and we already have pre-draft-N wireless cards in the iMac today, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Just buy it, it'd be a good machine for years to come.

(Unless of course you are planning on getting a 24" iMac, in which case I seriously hope you give the 2.66Ghz Mac Pro another look)

16. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

I've tracked my future fundage (student!), and discovered I'll be able to buy my iMac in August of 2007. Now, the current iMacs got their C2D's in August too right? An update next year would be great! Is well as the Santa Rosa platform, I want 2-3 Megapixel iSight, 2.33Ghz standard, Blu-ray drive, reduced chin, along with a nice 802.11n Airport Base Station to match :)

other than that, I can't fault the machine as she is!

17. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

18. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

19. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

So is it worth waiting for a new graphic card ? :rolleyes:

20. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The x1600 is a perfectly good card. It is a year old this month, but by no means does that make it outdated or a poor performer. Games will be running fine on it for many years to come. So really you will be banking on whether or not Apple feels the need to upgrade, soley, the graphics card before April. I wouldn't count on it.

21. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

Your right I'm just gonna buy it next month when I turn 18!!!

One more question: I get a studentdiscount when I'm 18+ and in university but live at home, right?

22. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Yes, it's a good card, but even ATI themselves put the X1600 and the X1600 Pro in the "Value" class now. X1650 Pro is their new mainstream card.

I have a feeling the "X2600" or whatever ATI call their mid-range SM 4.0 card, may not appear in the iMac until late-2007 or 2008.

23. generik macrumors 601

generik

You can be living under a pizza box for that matter and Apple wouldn't care as long as it is a deliverable address :rolleyes:

24. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Yeah I'm aware, but this is Apple. I'm sure whent hey get refreshed they will get a new card, but not before then.

25. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I would be very interested to hear how a bigger screen could mess up your eyes... :confused: