Specter edges out Toomey in Penn Senate race

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

ABC has Specter holding on to win 51%-49% over the right wing candidate Pat Toomey. The question will be is Specter battered too much in this primary to hold on to his seat in November. I can't believe the religious right who made up the core of Toomey's support will turn out in large numbers for Specter in November. We shall see, but the turnout will also make a huge difference in a close Kerry-Bush race in this critical battleground state.

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

It has been 4 years (almost exactly, or maybe exactly!) Since I left PA for CA. But if I recall correctly Specter is a pro-choice Republican which doesn't sit well with rightwinger religious types... so I believe you are right.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, and he also voted against confirming Robert Bork. The right wing has never forgiven him for either trespass against ideological purity.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Specter also isn't particularly interesting to the other side, either.

He always seems to be put on some fact-finding committee which never reaches any conclusion. You might wonder while Philadelphians continue to vote for him, let alone, the rest of the commonwealth.

5. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i still vote in PA, and while i'd like to see a dems take back the senate, specter isn't the right senator to boot. he breaks party rank quite often, and his social politics are down right democrat-ish. i might even vote for him in november (i did last time). however, i'm going to do everything i can to bounce santorum when his seat comes up. that nutjob really really gets under my skin.

EDIT> i found this site, which kind of proves what a slimeball toomey was:
    www.arlenspecter.org/

6. toontra macrumors 6502

There was a piece on UK tv last night about Toomey - slimeball is the word all right. Seems he speaks moderate but harbours more extreme views - these types are dangerous.

Specter at least seems to have a wry sense of humour plus a certain amount of integrity.

7. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I agree with your assessment. The report I read this morning said turnout was actually pretty light on the Republican side, despite a close race. I can't help but think the right wingers may decide to sit this one out in November -- unless Bush really is close to winning PA -- then all bets are off.

I also agree with you, trebblekicked, that it would be a shame if all the "liberal" republicans were eliminated. I have had personal contact with Specter when I was the publisher of a B2B magazine. He is the kind of old fashioned congressman who "brings home the bacon", so I was surprised he would be in a tough race.

[I also agree that Santorum has to go. The guy is a combination of Bob Dornin (if you remember him) and Dan Quayle.]

The same, I suppose, goes for the Democrats: I can not stand Zell Miller -- but that doesn't mean I don't want a diversity of views in the Democratic Party.

All in all, I think this will be good for Kerry -- but not good news for Hoeffel.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Good for Specter. He's one of the Republicans I have respect for these days. Although it makes it that much harder to wrest control of the Senate from the GOP this fall, it may keep some of the more extreme members of the right wing home in November and make it easier to get Dubya out of the WH.

9. wwworry macrumors regular

Toomey once ended one of his proclamations with " ... Bam! Any questions?!"
    That immediately disqualified him IMHO. Plus he had an angry looking eagle as his campaign billboard. Yuck.

I was thinking though if Gloomey won the primary Hoeffle would have an easier chance of beating him than Spector.

My favorite quote about Santorum is by former senator Bob Kerry:

"Santorum? Isn't that latin for *******?"