Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Hi all. I am looking for a stand alone Spectrum Analyzer for Mac OSX 10.4.11...that will analyze anything playing on my computer. (youtube, Firefox, itunes, Logic...anything) thanks.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi all. I am looking for a stand alone Spectrum Analyzer for Mac OSX 10.4.11...that will analyze anything playing on my computer. (youtube, Firefox, itunes, Logic...anything) thanks.

I think one is built into Logic.
If you need "free" look at the spectrum plot function in audicity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features

How to get the data from youtube to audicity or Logic will require some some other software (audio hijack or the like)

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
sorry I wasn't clear. I want it to be universal and to just analyze whatever is playing on my computer....like from the output of my Motu 828 I guess...I don't know how else to explain this...I know Logic has one and that is fine from within Logic...

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
sorry I wasn't clear. I want it to be universal and to just analyze whatever is playing on my computer....like from the output of my Motu 828 I guess...I don't know how else to explain this...I know Logic has one and that is fine from within Logic...

ChrisA said that you can route your system audio out to something like Audio Hijack or Soundflower and have that as the input to Audacity. That way you will be able to use Audacity's spectrum analyzer on any audio you want.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
way to much work when you could just open a .app and see it analyzing whatever is playing on your computer...

finjam

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
UPDATE 2: Just realized I wasn't using soundflower correctly. I think I got it

UPDATE: sorry, AudioXplorer does seem to be working.

Hello,

want to re-propose this question. None of the answers here seem to fit the original question or they just haven't worked for me so hoping you guys can help further.

I want a standalone application that does real time analysis of anything playing out of the built-in line output of the Mac (10.6 or 10.7) without any routing or anything. I find it hard to believe there is not an app that simply can monitor the system's audio, much like recording programs that do. Not talking about plugins for my DAW or apps that analyze a hardware input.

Have tried the demo version of Flux which didn't work (paid version is iLok only which is a huge hassle anyways). SignalScope Pro seems like it should work but can't get any audio through it and playing out. Same thing with LAMA and AudioXplorer. Additionally, I am attempting all this with variations in Audio/Midi Setup with aggregate devices and Soundflower with these programs as well.

Thank you!

Last edited:

sinusoid

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Audio Analizer

Hi,
I see this post is very old but i am trying...

I want to find an audio output analyzer for my mac. I mean, the sounds that i hear in my speakers, headphones etc to be analyzed by a VU meter, spectrum analyzer or something, iTunes, youtube, sound+/- everything, just like i have an amplifier with VU meters on it and see whats going on.

Is there something like this? An widget or app? Like temperature monitors are, why this doesn't exist?

Thank you. I home you know what i mean.

ianorth

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2016
[doublepost=1462637458][/doublepost]So am I. For anyone using Ableton Live this is so necessary since live only displays plugins for the selected channel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.